Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am sorry, I didn't understand. I did play with that sort of crossover and while I didn't keep using it, I'm pretty certain it would be more transparent than speaker level crossovers. I'm a bit of a fan girl about miniDSPs as I have wanted such a thing for years and it came as a total surprise when I came across it. It led to much money being spent on amps, I think the primary reason that everyone is not using it or a similar product. I was thinking of a software solution, like SpeakEasy, that uses a multi-channel sound card as a crossover but I'm glad I didn't go for that. I don't want to tie up my computer with such software and the latency of such programs is very high. MiniDSPs are not for everyone though. One thing is bugging me about the unbalanced miniDSP is that it doesn't have enough output voltage to drive a professional amp to full output. I don't want to have to buy a third miniDSP with balanced i/o just for my subs along with all the balanced cables required and adapters. The price is soon unreasonable IMHO. There are devices that convert balanced signals to unbalanced and vice versa and include an amp to boost the signal but that involves more cables and the price of the adapter too. So I will keep feeding "just" 300 watts to each of the subs. Its loud enough for me this way even though many have told me to get a pro amp.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Zeitgeist said:
I'm aware that MiniDSP has a balanced version. I've known this for quite a while. While I understand that I can easily wire a balanced connection to it - I still prefer it having hard XLR connectors without having to build custom cables and a custom enclosure so I can mount it.

The intention of my original post was trying to find a simple HPF. Not a full blown DSP or EQ solution. Since MiniDSP is a fully featured DSP (but lacks the polish of a pro product) - it's not what I'm looking for.

My reason for XLR is in part because of the higher line voltage.

I think it's pretty clear there are no simple XLR HPF filters.
We don't care what you want. We want you to use miniDSP! Now stop arguing!!!

:funnysmileofyourchoice:

·
Registered
350 Posts
cool...

sorry, I just want to get some of these but I have no use for them. I can't justify an entire DIY active speaker project just because I buy a DSP....:nerd:
Thats understandable. I didn't have working speakers for my a/v system when I decided to use the miniDSPs, so I was starting out from scratch. Had to buy amps too as they had quit working. So I decided to go for the best and have not been disappointed. If all my equipment wasn't either lost or dead I never would have gone this route.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a balanced miniDSP on the way to me already to join the 2 unbalanced ones already in my system. I bought a professional amp for my subs and it requires the higher voltage of the balanced one. The miniDSP makes a great HPF along with equalization.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hopefully I didn't come across that way. If I did I apologize. I'm going through some hard times and that brings out the OCD in me. I will try to keep myself from posting. There are many good alternatives to the miniDSP, many are happy with Behringer, and many other electronic crossovers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
did you ever come up with a solution?

I am using a simple 50HZ cross over and equalised subs to cure some low frequency room boost but am thinking if I just put a good quality High pass filter in the tape loop or before the power amp it might be a far simpler set up. Found the Fmods with very variable reviews but balanced would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts

I am using a simple 50HZ cross over and equalised subs to cure some low frequency room boost but am thinking if I just put a good quality High pass filter in the tape loop or before the power amp it might be a far simpler set up. Found the Fmods with very variable reviews but balanced would be nice.
Fmods are passive filters with crossover points based on a fixed amplifier input impedance (perhaps 10k ohms, who knows), so hooking it up with gear of varying impedance would yield a varried cutoff frequency. It could be that the Reckhorns operate similarly, I don't know if they are active or not. At that point you're better off making your own 6dB/oct passive filter on in inline cable, which would be just as easy to make as an XLR or RCA.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I haven't purchased it yet, but decided that balanced MiniDSP was the best route.

I wasn't crazy about the Fmods - since they seemed hit or miss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a couple of Paradigm X30 external crossovers sitting around. These offer a 50hz, 80hz and 120hz high pass so I thought I would give one a try. The 50hz setting seems to have worked far better than I imagined. Helped reduce some of the 40-70 peak I had too.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts