Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I had a Da-lite Highpower that was damaged. I looked at all options and nothing will replace a Highpower other than a Highpower. Talked to my dealer where I bought my last screen and found the fabric was more expensive than a model c pulldown. Told dealer this makes no sense since the model c case is substantial. She agreed and started calling Da-lite. The person she spoke with confirmed that model c was cheaper than just fabric. Shipping was going to be $114. I asked if they could cut the fabric out of the casing to save shipping cost. She finally spoke to someone at Da-lite that told her I needed to order a replacement fabric. They even have a part # for fabric only but you must ask for a replacement fabric. I ordered a 139"x78" and cut it down to a 139" wide scope screen. I then built a frame and found an easy way to do this and it turned out incredible. This screen shipped was cheaper than a piece of laminate this size. Anyone thinking about this need to go ahead and do it. I posted this at another site and they blasted me because it wasn't a diy screen, which it is ,sorta.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I posted this at another site and they blasted me because it wasn't a diy screen, which it is ,sorta.
That's like saying "that's not a DIY sub because you bought the driver" :R

Cheers,
Bill.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I posted this at another site and they blasted me because it wasn't a diy screen, which it is ,sorta.
If you built your own frame then it is definitely a DIY screen. That other forum has their rules written, or at least enforced in a way, so that only their mixes are promoted and anything else is denigrated, it's a sad thing. :thumbsdown:

Welcome to Home Theater Shack! :wave:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am glad you brought this over here. What was your actual cost on the material?

If you built your own frame then it is definitely a DIY screen. That other forum has their rules written, or at least enforced in a way, so that only their mixes are promoted and anything else is denigrated, it's a sad thing. :thumbsdown:

Welcome to Home Theater Shack! :wave:
I probably egged it on a little, but you know who got under my skin. The funny thing is if you know who wouldn't have replied to my first post then I would have probably never even looked in the thread again and replied. I see Mandarax replied before all of the posts were deleted. He is a knowledgeable guy, who actually hosted a screen shoot out with you know who staying at his house. I know why MM does what he does, but why does prof allow this and allow only one person to have any say?

You know what really bugs me is the whole DIY vs MFG screen that MM promotes. Why can't it be just about the best screen for the best situation? Sometimes like the OP found out, a MFG screen can be cheaper than a DIY screen and better. Sorry for the rant.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I probably egged it on a little, but you know who got under my skin. The funny thing is if you know who wouldn't have replied to my first post then I would have probably never even looked in the thread again and replied. I see Mandarax replied before all of the posts were deleted. He is a knowledgeable guy, who actually hosted a screen shoot out with you know who staying at his house. I know why MM does what he does, but why does prof allow this and allow only one person to have any say?
We don't want to bring the argument from AVS over to this thread, but I saw that thread just before it disappeared and I think the main reason it was basically deleted was because 'you know who' and his partner were coming out on the short end of things. :heehee:

The real reason I don't post in the DIY Screen forum as AVS anymore isn't because I was forced to leave, I wasn't and I can still post there if I want to; it's due to the heavy-handed way in which that forum is moderated - it simply isn't a level playing field there. It pretty much has to be that way since on other forums where polite discussion is the norm their mixes haven't done too well because users are allowed to mention the shortcomings of their mixes.

As for why Prof55 moderates the way he does... you would have to ask him. :justdontknow:

You know what really bugs me is the whole DIY vs MFG screen that MM promotes. Why can't it be just about the best screen for the best situation? Sometimes like the OP found out, a MFG screen can be cheaper than a DIY screen and better. Sorry for the rant.
If you will notice the Projections Screens forum here at HTS has been broken into sub-forums for GENERAL, MANUFACTURED, DIY and EXPERIMENTAL screens. This was to aid folks in finding the catagory of screen they are interested in. This current thread is one that crosses definitional boundaries so it could fit almost anywhere, but we'll probably keep it in GENERAL.

Folks are free to talk about any type of screen they want to here at HTS! Here, it IS about the best screen for the situation! :T

·
Registered
21 Posts
I remember that thread. Here is the thing. Different people have their own priorities that they want to achieve and reasons for going diy. If it is to save money then you have to know what you are getting into.

You have to add up ALL the costs. Only including the paint and not the entire cost of procurement and landing the products at your door is just putting your head in the sand.

I love goofing around with the dynamics of making a screen. The more I figure out the more costly the materials get for the screen. At the end of the day I have to dedicate an area heated to a temp in the garage and try to get the humidity to a desirable level. I also usually will use halogen lamps to get the surface as close to an ideal temperature to cure the product. I want even bonding in the curing process. At the end of the day I still have these issues that I have to overcome.

a) Even if I get the material at the perfect viscosity and spray at a body shop rate everything I have come up with has a multi layer process where the coats are critical to be perfectly even. I can't spray without overspraying over layers due to my gravity feed gun limitations. I cannot spray and cover an entire screen surface in one pass and control the environment as well as a manufacturer that uses a process to pass their coating in one swipe and have complete control.

There is a number of other aspects of making it that I can't replicate, so although I used to like making a mix that corrected the shortcomings of the projector to make it neutral, most of that is no longer necessary with the products and the use of processors and cms systems.

I think I used to advise people to actually go to a body shop to get their screen painted and the cost is pretty remarkably lower. I seen some peoples painting skills and it isnt usually all that great. But it does get better as skills improve so i wouldnt recommend not doing it. Just know what you are going to get with 100 percent confidence.

To me the most fun part can be the frame. When it comes to apples to apples .. screen surface DIY, to the screen material which usually also has the backing material. I just can't from a financial perspective make the DIY screen surface at the same cost. Almost every manufacturer will sell a dealer the material only. A good dealer will know the stretch you need to attain. You can also get the stitching and snaps put in and buy extra snaps for your frame. The spacing can be given to for the snaps.

So everyone is a bit different and just make sure you add up all the costs if it is trying to save money. If its to try and just go through a process of learning and trying stuff out then the cost may not be important.
You have some good guides on this site so that will take some anxiety away from the process.

When you are just getting the material the shipping cost goes way down because the manufacturer can now also ship the product without using a common carrier.

I thought this treatment the op received is a mess. I guess the good thing is that it keeps bringing people here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.