Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've done similar threads recently...but here it is again maybe?

I am looking for 30mm+ Xmax, sub-20Hz Fs, and I guess I don't have a magic number for inductance, and I prefer XBL^2.

Same as but not Tumult and Maelstrom-X. Tumults no longer made, plan to get Maelstrom when dual 2 available.

Might due.. Brahma,Avalanche,Tempest-X (edit: no brahma or avalanche, not made anymore either, recones may be difficult...looking for new)

Not RL-p or SDX15

Is there anything? For the daily driver I need either 1 18" to go IB with D1 coils to get .5 ohm now and 2 ohm later, or 2 15's D2 to get same.

For dedicated car if ever, need D4 or D1 to get 2ohm.

HT...more flexable

·
Registered
136 Posts
What's wrong with the SDX? I understand it is quite a capable driver. :huh:

Don't get too hung up on the inductance thing, but if that is a deciding factor for you make sure to ask which reference frequency they used when measuring it - 1kHz or 10kHz.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was skimming a thread a while back and a couple people went back and forth saying that they had heard the Xmax was found to be incorrect and over rated, then the other person said they have one and they felt that was true, and gave an approximation of where they felt they heard it surpassed, then one of them said Bob or the gentleman that runs/owns creative even stated that yes, he had heard himself and believed they weren't coming out to spec as well...

bunch of words from a bunch of people, truth or not

im not saying anything is true or correct, just saying I am no longer interested in the SDX15, and Im not too into the RL-p yet either, but that may be the way to go...despite it's also a little more $$$ that I hope to spend on a driver Im not personally into

there just arent anymore of those Tumultesque drivers being made? Maybe something similar by TC Sounds, and SoundSplinter... rubber/plastic/poly type cones... no more paper and XBL except Exodus... with 8ohm and 4ohm complications

:explode:

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
It's too bad that a good company would lose out on sales as a result of unconfirmed hearsay. If it is indeed the case that the specs are off then this kind of exposure is good and the company can take corrective action. More likely is the case that some internet 'experts' are making comments without credible backing. If xmax is a buying decision, email the company and ask them directly.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's too bad that a good company would lose out on sales as a result of unconfirmed hearsay. If it is indeed the case that the specs are off then this kind of exposure is good and the company can take corrective action. More likely is the case that some internet 'experts' are making comments without credible backing. If xmax is a buying decision, email the company and ask them directly.
I know CSS is a good company, that is who I purchased 2 FR125S's from, and 4 Extremis from.

I was no longer considering the SDX15 long before I read that thread, it had no effect, though I made it come across that way in what I had said.

I didnt want to get into detail, unless maybe one of those people perhaps would see and comment, or that others who have heard the same might

Just saying I am looking for the paper coned foam surrounded Tumult like, more than the plastic/rubber non xbl

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agreed.

And don't make Xmax the deciding factor. Instead, find out how current owners think how it performs and sounds.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wasn't the 25 inch 14mm Xmax Tsuzureko sub from Hemp Acoustics XBL^2? That's the only other one I know of.

I didnt realize they ended up coming up with anything, I thought that fell through when Adire did. I wouldn't get any sized cone with only 14mm. Now if they had a 30mm Xmax, I'd be all over a beast like that!

Was it Kevin/Exodus that was working on the 30" using the Parthenon motor? Now THAT.... man. I can't even talk about it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wasn't the 25 inch 14mm Xmax Tsuzureko sub from Hemp Acoustics XBL^2? That's the only other one I know of.
I didnt realize they ended up coming up with anything, I thought that fell through when Adire did. I wouldn't get any sized cone with only 14mm. Now if they had a 30mm Xmax, I'd be all over a beast like that!
Aw, but a 25" with 15mm of Xmax has only 4% less swept volume than an 18" with 30mm Xmax. :yes: Sure, the box could end up way larger.... but how cool would a 25" woofer look? :T Just curious, but how can anyone need an 18" woofer in a car for just everyday driving, much less one with 30+mm Xmax? :scared:

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, but how can anyone need an 18" woofer in a car for just everyday driving, much less one with 30+mm Xmax? :scared:
you tell that to mike! HE's the one that says I would ONLY be using 16mm of a Fi IB18!

But, he is right, I am a bass head, before long I will find the Maelstrom isn't enough, so I will "" port "" it, and then end up getting a second one, and have TWO 33mm 18's and some giggawatts... great scott!

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, I am thinking I am going to have to run an RL-p 18 for now until the Maels come out. I am talking myself into it more and more every minute. Nothing wrong with a poly cone... is that what they are? I'll read the website and check into them when I have time. Rubber surrounds are fine, though it gets freezing cold here in winter (it's sub 30's or colder right now and 25mph winds today) and hot in the summer.

I like the tall narrow surrounds for added Sd while maintaining super high excursion. What is the Xmech on these? How are they limited?

Im gonna check the site quick now...

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy , I thought they were $400... even more than I thought. But, I'll go with the D2 low enough Fs, 27mm same as Avalanche/Brahma. Looks pretty sweet. 19Bl?

So, IB 13.8 cubes, will 1500 watts be enough for this behemoth??

any and all info about this guys, would be greatly appreciated! Long coil Long gap? Over/under hung? (guessin over hung if one of those 2)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't get too hung up on the inductance thing, but if that is a deciding factor for you make sure to ask which reference frequency they used when measuring it - 1kHz or 10kHz.
It doesn't matter at what frequency the Le is measured, the inductance value will be the same. What changes with frequency is the inductive reactance value, which is of no consequence except when designing a crossover.
As for not getting hung up on the Le value, +1. With a sub driver it's insignificant.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
+3 on the inductance issue. I mean as long as it isn't completely out of hand it shouldn't be a huge factor for a subwoofer driver right? Lower is better of course. Most of the time the mfger's supplied LE figures aren't worth very much anyway as it changes with excursion and frequency.

Jordan,
The RLP is manufactured by TC sounds. It is overhung with 3", I believe 4 layer vc set-up. Xmax is listed as 27.4mm and xmech as 41mm. TC has a rep for meeting it's specs pretty closely. The cone is spun aluminum and the surrounds are NBR rubber. I don't remember whether they used any shorting rings in the RLP's.

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+3 on the inductance issue. I mean as long as it isn't completely out of hand it shouldn't be a huge factor for a subwoofer driver right? Lower is better of course. Most of the time the mfger's supplied le figures aren't worth very much anyway as it changes with excursion and frequency.

Jordan,
the rlp is manufactured by tc sounds. It is overhung with 3", i believe 4 layer vc set-up. Xmax is listed as 27.4mm and xmech as 41mm. Tc has a rep for meeting it's specs pretty closely. The cone is spun aluminum and the surrounds are nbr rubber. I don't remember whether they used any shorting rings in the rlp's.

depending what comes first... Funds or dual 2 mael....will determine what i get

i am convinced! I maybe running rl-p then

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It just doesn't seem right to me to port this "enclosure". It's like porting an IB, other than the obviouse fact it is so large it won't "push air through" anyway... (in a normal home IB) just because you don't know the exact airspace, it's not perfectly sealed, and in my case... serious "enclosure" flex.

Air leaks so bad you can't factor it in, flex so bad you can't factror it in. And 13.8 cubes... where did that number come from? Toyota? How do you measure the volume of a totally inconsistent chamber? That was the idea to all of those boring pics, was to show that there are a thousand different measurments, every inch something changes drastically.

But after I "seal" it up for quite a while and get to know it, I may punch a hole if I can find space in this trunk to stuff a long 8" port.... the 18" will protrude into the trunk quite enough, IDK where a port is going to fit thats long enough.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts