Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Article from Digital Trends "The long and storied history of the white van speaker scam"

May be a useful reference to educate non-audio savvy friends and family.

The list of the "company names" (using that term in its loosest possible form) clumsily intended to deceive their target sheep was mildly entertaining, such as "Bach and Odin", "Paradyme", "Vanderbach" to highlight just a few.

In this day and age of smartphones and google searches it is surprising these guys are still able to ripoff anyone anymore.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
It is hard to believe that people will fall for this white van speaker thing but I know of two people who fell for it. Both of them in different parts of the city. Both were going to the ATM at the local bank and then these guys drive up to them and sell the worthless speakers to them. Both of them said they searched online and found good reviews so they fell for it. Obviously, these scam artists know people will look up the units so create fictitious reviews.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
When I was approached (>30 years ago) I had never heard of the white van scam but as time passed i realized I had been touched by it....I was leaving Sound Warehouse (large record store) when i was approached, the pitch involved a warehouse loading 10 pair of speakers instead of two for customer delivery.
The drivers were selling the unaccountable speakers for pennies on the dollar.
Essentially they were inviting me to buy stolen property.
I declined, but when I told the story I was shocked at the number of people that thought I was crazy for passing on the deal.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I still see a far number of white van speakers being sold on my local craigslist. It's unfortunate how many people fall for the scam and then try to put one over on other people by reselling the speakers. They should just take the hit and toss them in the trash unless they are able to somehow sue the scammers they bought them from.

They should also be more wary of people selling stuff out of vans in store parking lots :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The last time I was approached was about 2003. I was driving my company van, wearing my company shirt, and they stopped to speak to me as I was getting out of the van. When they started their pitch, I pointed to the AV company logo, along with the logos of some well known quality speakers that were on the side of the van, raised a brow, and said
"Seriously?".

They stopped and drove off. I should have played along for a bit. Every minute they are distracted, is one less minute someone else is being scammed...

Z...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts