Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hitachi 61SWX10B that has wigged out, the bulbs are all off from each other. The green picture kind of swoops down in the upper left corner, and the red and blue are off from each other in almost the whole image. When I try to get into the manual convergence menu it gives me a big green 5 in the bottom right, which I gather is an error code. From what I've read on the forums, this is most likely a problem with the ICs (I have the STK392-110s in the tv at the moment).

My question is this, from the attached picture, does it look like this is the problem to someone that knows a little more about the issue? And if so, should I be safe and replace all the resistors that come in the repair kit, or can I get away with just buying the STKs?

I'm looking at the X480302 kit on tritronicsinc or andrewselectronics if I need to get all the resistors, I saw in the convergence thread that the STK394-160 is recommended, but the kits have the STK392-150s in them still. Just want to make sure this is still the best way to go.

One more thing - after looking around inside the tv, it looks like I just need to unplug everything from the board the ICs and resistors are on, and unscrew it to take it out. Any cautions on doing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply, it helps to know that both are acceptable. I order my parts and got the board out so i'm ready to start soldering when they get here.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, i'd like to say thanks for the awesome information on these forums. The ICs i put in are working great, but there is another possibly unrelated problem that i've been unable to find information on as of yet. The red and blue are working perfectly, but the green, while being converged well, is out of focus. Inside the front access panels there are 2 knobs for each bulb, brightness and focus, but either way i turn the green focus it gets worse than it is. I've also checked over the convergence board thoroughly, and i don't see any bad connections or cracks. I know troubleshooting can be difficult without seeing the set in person, i just wanted to know if this was a common thing i can check on. Also, the only link i've been able to find for the service manual for my model has been taken down, if anyone has a digital copy available i'd love to have it. Thanks again!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You likely have something disconnected. You should be able to look into the lens and adjust to very sharp focus. Then adjust the mechanical focus on the lens for sharpest image on the screen. If you cannot get good focus looking in the lens, you have a problem. Look for something disconnected or loose.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, i'll check that tonight and see what i can find. Thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After poking around inside some more, i found that the rough focus on the green bulb helped a ton, then i was able to use the mechanical focus to finish it off to a sharp image. I got it converged last night and everything looks great! Thanks for the tips lcaillo!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here but I've been reading some of your posts and they have been very helpful. I've got one of these same TV's with a convergence problem as well. Only the RED is out of alignment when looking at the alignment grid. I'm able to adjust the horizontal line with no problem but I can't figure out how to switch over to adjust the vertical lines. I feel like it's just the press of a button on the Remote but I'm a loss to which one(s). Any ideas out there?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You don't switch over to adjust the vertical lines. You use the up and down arrows in the same mode that adjusts the horizontal lines. I suggest you get a copy of the service manual before trying to adjust anything and review the procedures for your specific set and not rely on general information which may not be correct for your case.

Start a new thread for your problem wth the model in the subject and describe what you are seeing in detail, along with everything you have done.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Are you having a focus problem or a convergence problem?

I suggest starting a new thread for your problem and giving much more information if you want people to be able to provide help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts