Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been reading these posts to see if I can get a handle on my problem here. I picked tv up used a few months ago for my father to replace his old set. After a few weeks he heard a loud snapping sound and the TV wouldn't come on but would blink the blue light seven times. So I downloaded the service manual and hit the web and found it could be on of several of the boards inside.

I did find a blown chip on the SDR-U board and a couple swollen caps on the xsus board and power supply. So I ebay a refurbished SDR-U board and xsus and replaced them. I also replaced the caps on the PS just to make sure. Then I was able to get the tv to turn on a display a picture. I ran into that problem where you get a weird interlaced picture, every other line is blank, but that was my goof in installing the flex cables to the SDR board.

Unfortunately, ever since I got the TV to turn back on, only the left half will show a picture. The right half will more or less stay blank with a short green line (or two) at the top of the screen that only goes from the middle to the right side.

I thought it might be the abus boards so I resat those cables with no change. I even unplugged the power to the top abus-b board and noticed that an alternating pattern of vertical bars went blank, even cutting the green line across the top into pieces. I've also tried removing the logic cable and that will make an alternating pattern of noise, like tv snow, but in many colors. So I resat all the cables on the logic board. I've also tried putting the tv in to a panel test mode, and the left side will display the colors perfectly but the right side it's just noise.

Is this a problem with my logic board ($40) or the y-sus board ($150). I know it can't be the x-sus because it's new (and it seems like a column problem). and I don't think it's an abus problem, because I can unplug them and see a change.

What do you all think?

JE

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is the half of the screen exactly half or roughly half?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well,

I don't have a tape measure on me but it looks exactly half to me. The columns somehow seem to correspond to the ABUS-C boards. When I disconnect both of them that green line goes away but then that half of the screen will not illuminate like it's dead. With them connected I can see a faint light, but this that's just the panel lighting

Brookhaven-20120406-00023.jpg

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Check your supplies on the ABUS boards on the two sides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,

I didn't measure the actual voltages on the supplies for those ABUS boards. But when I unplug the power to them that green lines goes away. Also if I leave the power to the abus boards connected and unplug the logic cables, that half of the screen will fill with a kind of multicolor snow (noise). It kind of seems like the boards are working, but they don't have the proper signal. What do you think?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Probably, but the old tech in me would want to get out the scope and the meter and do some checks on the supples and the signals before buying a board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry,

I didn't get a change to measure the voltages because the tv's not here with me. I had my father replace the logic board and the right side of the screen started to work again. I'm curious as to what could have blown that one side of the logic board. I didn't really see anything in the schematic that was particular just that one side. A quarter of the tv maybe, but not a whole half.

Oh well... It's fixed now. Thanks for the advice guys.

JE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts