Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue where after 15 minutes, the picture starts degrading and flickering on my DLP TV. I can't post a video of it because this is my first post, but does this sort of symptom clue any of the experts on DLP issues? If I get some more posts, I suppose I can post the video, but until then, I certainly could use some help.

My HD Comcast cable box is connected via component cables. This happens from either of the two component connections in the back.

Thanks for any clues!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Try to isolate the problem more by trying different types of inputs and checking the menus, including the service menu to see when the problem occurs. Does it get worse as it warms up, stays the same,or does it clear up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did a bit more troubleshooting. My actions and observations are these:

1. Turned on the TV. After an hour the degradation and flickering began, increasingly getting worse and worse over 20 minutes. At the worst, the color Red was totally washed out and replaced by Green. And the flickering was real bad. This affected all menus (which were Green color instead of Blue) and component and composite connections. I don't have any equipment to test s-video or the DVI/VGA inputs, unfortunately.

2. Turned off the set and turned it on using the maintenance menu sequence. The TV turned on, screen was black, but could hear audio from the TV show that was playing. After about 30 seconds, the TV turned off, turned itself back on and then the lamp turned on showing the maintenance menu. At this point, the TV was actually displaying much better (not 100%, but much better). This lasted for another 10 min or so, then it degraded again.

3. I turned off the set again and used maintenance menu sequence again. The TV turned on, screen was black, could hear sound, then it turned off after 30 seconds. It turned on automatically, could hear sound, but black screen. Then after approximately 30 seconds, it just turned off and the 3 lights (timer, lamp, standby) were flashing.

4. I unplugged the set after 5 minutes (once I heard all of the fans stop). Waited 30 seconds, then plugged it back in and turned on the TV. For about 15 seconds, as the picture came on, I could see that the degradation and color was still bad, but then all of a sudden it got better, like 100% again.

5. After 10 min or so after #4 above, the picture started degrading/flickering again, menus were Green again, not Blue. At this point, however, the degradation goes from slight to bad really fast (over a few minutes)

Does this behavior point to any specific component failure?

Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would start by monitoring power supplies, but my best guess is the classic thermal problems on the digital board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would start by monitoring power supplies, but my best guess is the classic thermal problems on the digital board.
Hi,

So when you say "monitoring power supplies" are you referring to something within the TV? If so, how do I do that? Sorry, I need a little more help on that part.

If it's the thermal issues with the digital board, do you know if that means I need to replace that? Is it something I could do myself or is it something better left to an expert?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts