Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my TV it tries to come on, then shuts off and tries to come on again. It does this three times and then the Timer Lamp/Stand By Temp lights flash. Eventually I can get it to come on. When I first try to turn it on I listened for the color wheel and I here a ticking sound like something is spinning and then when the TV finally does come on I hear a definite spinning sound but dont know if its the fan or color wheel. I replaced the lamp so I am pretty sure its not that. It was doing it before I replaced the lamp and hence, that is why I replaced the lamp. Does this sound more like a lamp ballast or color wheel issue? I am leaning towards ballast... Once it is on I have no issues. Sometimes when I turn it off it decides to turn itself back on which is also why I think its the ballast. If the color wheel had problems spinning I wouldnt think this would have anything to do with making it come back on once it had been running. Sounds more like a voltage issue.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Please do not post in multiple threads. I have already answered your previous question in the other thread then I find that you have a new one here. I see nothing here about the set coming on by itself as you described in the other thread. Without clear, consise descriptions of the symptoms, it is impossible to be of much help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted a separate thread because this thread was old and I didnt know if anyone would see it anymore.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
This is the new thread. I monitor the posts daily and it is rare for me to miss them for longer than a day or so. Always start a new thread for a new problem and be as detailed and specific as possible in describing the set and the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thank you. Obviously I am new at this and just trying to trouble shoot my TV without paying $$$ to have it fixed. I have been trouble shooting this afternoon and here is as much detail as I can think to add...

HL-R5067W

Symptoms - Does not come on easily. Turns on and off while trying to come on. I can here the color wheel spinning at low RPM before it fully comes on. While it is trying to come on I can also here faintly, what only can be described as low tone beeps and squeaks. (not mechanical sounds but computer type sounds)

* once TV is on, it works fine and I have no issues (if it were a color wheel problem I would think I would have more issues once it was on)
* once TV has been in use and turned off, it sometimes comes back on immediately by itself (again, cant imagine a color wheel issue would have any affect on the TV coming on after being shut off)
* once TV has been in use, I can turn it off and back on without the issues (meaning problems occur from a cold start)
* light engine was replaced when TV was 6 months old.

Would the color wheel start spinning full RPM immediately or only after light comes on?

I am leaning towards buying the ballast and trying that unless someone thinks it is definitely not that...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The ballast would not account for the set turning back on. There is likely something to the pattern that you are missing.

The color wheel shold spin up to full speed right away.

My guess is that your color wheel is going bad and there may be some other issue as well. It may be necessary to have a tech who is very familiar with these models diagnose and repair the unit. Detailed troubleshooting is beyond the scope of this forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were to replace the color wheel, are there any settings that need to be adjusted after the replacement is done?

Also I am curious, would a failing color wheel have an impact on the brightness of the colors? Meaning, does the picture quality degrade as it is failing or is it all or nothing?

Thanks...

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes, there are adjustments to the color wheel index and in some cases a jumper setting needs to be changed if the color wheel replacement is a different type.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any place I can learn or read about the adjustments needed to the color wheel index? I ordered the color wheel specific for my TV and Chassis. Would I still require changes to the color wheel index?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
With Samsung it is hard to tell. The suffix on your model mumber is very important to getting the right part, but even then, they make changes in production and parts after production. The only place that I know of to get the info is from the Samsung service web site and their tech support, which is mostly only available to ASCs and qualified servicers. Sometimes the info comes with the part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions... One more (for now! :R )

Would a bad ballast have any affect on the color wheel spinning up? Or is that strictly regulating the power to the lamp?

Also, I turned on the TV today and listened for the wheel and it makes that quiet ticking noise and doesnt spin up to speed, but I gave the TV a quick slap on the back and it came on first try this time.. Makes me think even more the wheel bearings are going or something... What do you think?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't mind answering questions, but I already told you that the lamp enable does not occur until the color wheel spins up. Therefore, no, a ballast cannot cause a problem with the color wheel not starting.

The color wheel is a high failure part in these sets. There are other areas that fail as well. You may have more than one problem, you may just have a bad color wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you or anyone else reading this have any idea how someone would know if they need to remove the jumper when installing the new color wheel? I wonder if any documentation comes with it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet! I installed the new color wheel in less than an hour. It was actually rather easy. Just needed to pay attention to the wires you disconnect and reconnect. I fired up the TV and it came right on without a hitch. I could hear the color wheel spin in at full RPM immediately, unlike before. I turned it off, let it sit a few minutes and it came right on again. I think I may have got it! I am 99% positive it was the color wheel since it now works and also when I took out the old one, I spun the wheel with my finger and it definitely had drag on it, and would stop almost as soon as I spun it. Before I installed the new one, I spun it and it kept going for about 15 seconds on its own. I am pretty sure the bearings must have been going in the old one. Too bad there is no way to know without removing it! Well all is good. I will report back if I have any problems. Didnt need to adjust anything, just installed the new one and all is good so far.

Didnt mess with any jumpers either.

FYI for future readers. Inside TV says it was built FEB2006. Chassis was L6, new part number was BP96-01103A model HLR5067wax/xaa. Chassis number is on the back panel of the TV. Replaced old with new and did not change any jumpers or settings in the service menu.

Thank you all for your feedback!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Glad you were able to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm back! TV is still working great after repair with no problems as far as I know. I am curious if what I am seeing now is a side effect of the new color wheel install or something else. TV picture is great, but sometimes I notice faint wavy horizontal lines in lighter scenes. This only happens in component mode. When I switch to HDMI on same channel it is not there. My DVD/Surround sound has no HDMI and can only be connected with component so I would like to resolve it. I tried a new component cable and it was still there so I know its not the cable. Could some settings need to be tweaked with the new color wheel install I did? Is there anything I can adjust to get rid of it? Its not serious and its not seen all the time, but I do notice it. Thanks

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I'd be looking for a wire dress problem. Perhaps you routed a wire incorrectly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I have checked and wires are correctly connected. Plus the picture is perfect 95% of the time. Its a subtle wavy line issue that only shows sometimes. Maybe something is interfering with it.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Wire dress is the routing of wires, not what they are connected to. It can be the source of interference of the sort that you describe, particularly in analog signals. You could also have a problem in the processing of the signal. These kinds of problems can be very tricky to track down. The first thing to do is eliminate any simple problems such as wire dress, ground problems, or poor connections.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wire dress is the routing of wires, not what they are connected to. It can be the source of interference of the sort that you describe, particularly in analog signals. You could also have a problem in the processing of the signal. These kinds of problems can be very tricky to track down. The first thing to do is eliminate any simple problems such as wire dress, ground problems, or poor connections.
Well now component connection 2 does not work at all. Comp1 works fine, I swapped cables and confirmed its not cables. I get no signal at all to TV when using Comp2 connection. What would be the fix for this? I assume a board of some kind that will cost $$$...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts