Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

HL-S4266W Turns on for 3-10 minutes then turns off

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
So my precious Samsung TV decided late last week that it would turn off while we were watching a show. I suspected the bulb was failing (a little more than 5 years old now) so I ordered a replacement, which arrived yesterday. When it turned off all 3 lights were blinking, which according to the manual indicates a bulb fault.

I was surprised that what arrived was not a Phillips bulb, but an Osram despite what I read on DLPLampSource. In any case I installed it, replaced the back panel then turned it on. Woohoo we have life!:bigsmile: So we sit down and resume our show.

About 10 minutes in the TV turns off with the same symptoms. I :rubeyes:, wife :rant:... Do a quick search to see if there is a command to reset the bulb life. Sure enough there is. Do that. Turn the tv back on and get 5 minutes or so before it turns off. Do a factory reset on the tv via that same service menu.

So, frustrated, I unplugged it again and let it sit for the night. This morning I took the bulb cover off and stuck a lever in to hold the switch down. Once again I got about 10 minutes of life before it shut off. I read online to check for swollen capacitors on the power supply and ballast, so I dug into it.

I removed the back, no swollen caps on the power supply (and was getting 10 minutes of power so I figured that was unlikely) pulled the entire engine out and visually inspected the ballast, no swollen caps. Again figured that was unlikely. The heatsink fan spins just fine, and though I couldn't see it and I wasn't caffeinated enough to stick my hand into verify operation of the other fan it seemed to rotate without issue with no power applied. I'll check that later this afternoon.

Any suggestions? I'm honestly hoping it's either a faulty bulb (I'm calling DLPLampSource on this as well) or a temp. sensor, which would explain why I get less time after it's been on for a while. Any chance it's the ballast despite the lamp coming on? I don't have a multimeter to check nor would I have the first clue on how to use it to check.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for replying. There are 2 fans. Both are spinning, but the one closest to the lamp is not spinning very fast. That's also the one closest to the temperature sensor. Admittedly, I'm not sure how fast it should be spinning.

It was somewhat dusty, but not too terrible. I removed the entire engine last night and cleaned it with compressed air, and knocked a lot of the dust off the fans with a screw driver.

#6 ·
Got the new fan and temperature sensor installed this morning and had the same results. I noticed some mention of digital, dmd and analog boards in other threads so I tried an analog device this morning (prior we were using our HDMI connected cable box).

#7 ·
It could be the wrong lamp. These sets used several combinations of ballast and lamp and most vendors do not pay close attention to potential differences. Verify the part number for the lamp with a reliable supplier. Where did you get the lamp?

#9 ·
What are the numbers on the lamp reflector? I did some checking and the Osram should work if it is the right one. Some of the lamps are essentially interchangeable between the Osram and Philips, some are not. I think this is one that should not matter.

Were you careful to put the fan in exactly as the original was? If it is installed blowing in the wrong direction you could have a thermal problem. Did you clean the entire air path?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.