Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dlp has intermittently turned itself off then back on with a funny whining noise. The other day, it did this but instead of turning off and on just once it kept turning itself off and on over and over. My tv is just out of warranty (by a few months) So I am doing the repairs myself. From all of the research I have done everything has told me to start with a new bulb because mine is over a year old and well used at that. But the noise item was leading me a different way. I played around and watched trying to find the noise. It lead me to the ballast and more specifically one item on the ballast (capacitor maybe?) I am attaching a photo of my ballast with the culprit circled. When it makes the noises this item also lights up.
Simple questions, has anyone else had this problem and is it a bad ballast?

link for photo (change the ^ to . )
http://www^mediafire^com/?sharekey=5c74978ade917dc49bf8d6369220dcabe04e75f6e8ebb871

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
That part is the spark gap and should be lighting up when you hear the noise. It tells you that the ballast is firing. Start by changing the lamp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the bulb in today. So far everything is going good.

And on another note, I forgot how good the picture can be on this TV, like all of the other posts, you dont notice the TV getting darker over a period of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starting last night my Samsung HL56A650 is doing what sounds to be the same thing. It will continually cyle itself on and off. My television is about the same age as yours (I purchased it sometime during the summer of 2008).

I have a question did your bulb still light up?! When i first plug it in I will get an image for a few seconds (10-15sec) then it powers off and continually powers on and off...since I got the image I was thinking maybe it is not the bulb, but it sounds like it is the same problem that you had...

PLEASE let me know if it is similar to your case...I would much rather buy a new bulb than have to take it to a service center and pay an arm and a leg!

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
730 Posts
Starting last night my Samsung HL56A650 is doing what sounds to be the same thing. It will continually cyle itself on and off. My television is about the same age as yours (I purchased it sometime during the summer of 2008).

I have a question did your bulb still light up?! When i first plug it in I will get an image for a few seconds (10-15sec) then it powers off and continually powers on and off...since I got the image I was thinking maybe it is not the bulb, but it sounds like it is the same problem that you had...

PLEASE let me know if it is similar to your case...I would much rather buy a new bulb than have to take it to a service center and pay an arm and a leg!

Thanks,
Tim
like the other guy was told. try a replacement lamp. when you have it apart to change the lamp blow any dust out of the fans.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes, once again, the lesson learned by many techs over and over again is to start with a new lamp when it is even a remote possibility. Always check the ballast and power supply for swollen caps in Samsung DLP sets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have replaced my lamp four times in the last year. Each one works great for one to three months then I get the three blinking LEDs out of no where. No noise or any indication just blacks out the starts blinking and won't turn off. I was told it is the ballast, any other ideas or should I precede in replacing that. The repair shop closest to me charges me 150.00 a lamp (and they use my housing) and I have to put it in myself and will have to learn how to replace any other parts needed. Don't know what to do, I only work part time this is eating up all my money.:sweat::sweat::sweat:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have replaced my lamp four times in the last year. Each one works great for one to three months then I get the three blinking LEDs out of no where. No noise or any indication just blacks out the starts blinking and won't turn off. I was told it is the ballast, any other ideas or should I precede in replacing that. The repair shop closest to me charges me 150.00 a lamp (and they use my housing) and I have to put it in myself and will have to learn how to replace any other parts needed. Don't know what to do, I only work part time this is eating up all my money.:sweat::sweat::sweat:
It could be a ballast or cheap replacement lamps. Who is the supplier?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts