Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 50" DLP my wife said before the TV went out there was a flash of red and she heard a pop, and the picture was gone. So I replaced the lamp, but I still don't have a picture. The only trouble shooting steps I have done is remove the back and make sure every thing I touched was still plugged in. Tried starting TV with the back removed and my finger on the kill switch, but still nothing. I also reseated the lamp.

What I hear other than the initial startup beeps:
whining noise like tv is starting
noise like fan turning on (which it does)
noise like something else is starting
then nothing.

Then it starts all over again up to three times then the lights are blinking.

Any advice would be appreciated.
:ponder:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Which LEDs are blinking?

Where did you buy the lamp. Problems with replacement lamps are very common. It is easy to get a replacement that does not work or does not last.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the lamp from Amazon.com, this is the same company I purchased my last one from. Regarding the bulb, I replaced the last one before it's end of life just incase I ever needed a spare, like during the Super Bowl or something like that.

I have put both bulbs in and neither works. I took a picture of what lights were flashing. Two are flashing green and temp is flashing red.

See: flickr.com/photos/tabauknight/7552988572/

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Does the color wheel spin up? Is that what you are hearing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it sounds like it is. It's a loud whining noise. I had it after my 1st year w/ TV, but it was replaced since I had extended warranty I called the problem in and they replaced the wheel.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It should not be loud, but noticed. It should spin up fast then slow down a bit as the servo locks...IIRC on these units a bad color wheel would give you the LEDs you see, but I would check the manual for the LED codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't find the codes. The manual I had was early edition and I couldn't find an accurate online manual. Since I couldn't find accurate information about what was wrong and I didn't want to guess and spend more money so I took it to Thompson Electronics in Columbus, Ohio. They did all the work on my DLP while under extended warranty. They diagnosed it as a bad color wheel. Cost $301 to fix and diagnose.

I had to break down and do this because I have a 12 year old party Friday and we are getting him the Xbox 360 and they are going to want to play on a 50" instead of the 32" we currently have in place.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Probably not an unreasonable repair cost. Last I checked those parts were well over $100 cost. The training to do it right, plus cost of doing business...$300 is not out of line in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts