Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have been stumped on what is wrong with my samsung and would be grateful if anybody knew what could possibly be the problem

About 4 months ago the bulb went out and I replaced that on my own

Around that time the set started making a loud grinding noise (later found out to be color wheel)

Two weeks ago the set turned off spontaneously. Attempts to turn it on result in the front lights blinking (cant remember which ones it was exactly then) and it just keeps trying to restart itself

I figured it was the color wheel because of the grinding noise problem that it started having and ordered a replacement. Yesterday I swapped the old color wheel with the new one and it still will not fully turn on.

With the set open (I taped down the cover sensor) and the color wheel cover off I attempted some troubleshooting. I found that when I hit power and try to start it up:
-The color wheel spins up and remains spinning, seems to be working fine
-The bulb flashes a few times quickly during the startup attempts so the bulb cant be bad and its only 4 mo. old
-the ballast light flickers a few times during startup also and makes clicking noises

It tries turning on a few times before powering down and showing me all 3 LEDS on front blinking. During the startup attempts only the LAMP light blinks but I'm pretty sure it did that for a few seconds before coming on when the TV was fully operational.

So at this point I just cant figure out what it is. Do you guys think one of the boards could have coincidentally died in the months after the color wheel started making loud noises? I've stared at the wiring for hours trying to find anything out of place but it all looks good to me so I dont think I put it back together wrong.

Any ideas at all would be much appreciated! Thanks

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be a ballast or a power supply, but my money is on the lamp. Where did you buy it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a ballast or a power supply, but my money is on the lamp. Where did you buy it?
Thanks for the reply! this is the title of the bulb I got on amazon

"Electrified BP96-00224J / BP96-00224E / BP96-00224C / BP96-00224D Replacement Lamp with Housing for Samsung TVs"

In case there was any confusion from my opening post, when I replaced the lamp 4 months ago (the one i got on that amazon link) it worked perfectly. Also, when I turn the tv on with the color wheel exposed I can see a little bit of light come off the bulb onto the color wheel, it flickers about 3 times or so.

So even though I see it giving off light, the bulb can still be bad?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes. It is not that uncommon, particularly with replacement lamps. There is no way to be sure other than to try a known good OEM lamp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you I will give that a shot. Out of curiosity, what does OWN stand for? I tried googling but just came up with a lot of results with the word 'own' in them

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
OWN should have been OEM, original equipment manufacturer. Posting from a cell phone with autocomplete has its hazards. Edited...

Let me check my old inventory. I might just have one of those lamps...gotta get into the storage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh that would be great! How much would you want to get rid of one of them for? you can AIM me if you dont want to chat here, my screenname is the same as my forum name

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I will get to the storage tomorrow and check and let you know.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Sorry I for got to respond. I checked and had a couple of lamps left but not that one. Glad you solved the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts