Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Samsung HLN617WX/XAA 61" DLP and there are small lines on the screen when using the component hookups and when I use the video hookups but not when I use the pc hookup. I have replaced the digital board because the tv just stopped working with the remote. I would tap on the digital board to get the remote to work then one day the tapping didn't work so I got a used digital board and that has solved my remote problem and video problem. Then I started getting a frozen black and white screen or a strobe light effect so I replaced the DMD board and now I have lines through the screen but the pc hookup works great. I have a brand new lamp also from DM. I have included 3 different pictures to help show the problem. The first picture is of the component hookup, the second is the video hookup and the last one is the pc hookup. Could it be the DMD again or the Analog board? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
That looks like some sort of noise leaking in somewhere in the analog path. I would look for shielding or grounding problems or a bad cap on a power supply (could be very hard to find even with a good scope).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast response. So should I look for the usual suspects on the power board like bulging caps. etc..? I did replace the power board about 5 months ago and all I really needed was the fuse that blew and I didn't notice it so maybe tomorrow I will look at the power board and get a new fuse for the old one and put that in and see if there is a difference. Again thanks for the fast response.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Maybe bulging, maybe not. I would look at the output of your various regulated supplies that feed the analog section using a scope. If you don't have one, you can hunt and peck (very carefully) by adding caps one at a time in parallel with the filters on each supply to see if it changes the symptom. When it does you likely have found the circuit with the problem and you can shotgun it at that point by changing the likely suspects. Use the same values as the caps in the circuit. I used to use a needle probe to make contact from the top of the board at the right points in the circuit.

Before any of that, I would just check your grounding. Could be as simple as a poor ground on a board.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a update:

I was looking for any bulging caps and found none so I checked my setting on my sat receiver and saw that it was set to composite and not component. I set the receiver to component and the picture cleared up on the component hookup. Now I just have very small lines on the regular video hookups as in picture 2. So now I have half the problem solved. I will keep looking for anything on the power board or analog board that might be the problem. Thanks for the help lcaillo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Samsung HLN617WX/XAA 61" DLP and there are small lines on the screen when using the component hookups and when I use the video hookups but not when I use the pc hookup. I have replaced the digital board because the tv just stopped working with the remote. I would tap on the digital board to get the remote to work then one day the tapping didn't work so I got a used digital board and that has solved my remote problem and video problem. Then I started getting a frozen black and white screen or a strobe light effect so I replaced the DMD board and now I have lines through the screen but the pc hookup works great. I have a brand new lamp also from DM. I have included 3 different pictures to help show the problem. The first picture is of the component hookup, the second is the video hookup and the last one is the pc hookup. Could it be the DMD again or the Analog board? Any help would be appreciated.
I had the same issue with my TV. I also had the screen freeze issue where the TV would run fine for an hour or so and then it would freeze. After some research, I found out that the freeze problem is a DMD board issue. I read a post where someone else had the same problem and a Samsung tech replaced the DMD board and the Digital board. I decided to do the same. Since I was going to be replacing those boards, I went ahead and replaced the Analog board as well in hopes that it would solve the screen lines problem on the AV inputs. I'm happy to report that after replacing all 3 boards, I have no more screen lines.

Since I don't think the DMD board has anything to do with the screen lines, I am fairly certain that you could just replace the Digital and Analog boards at the same time and it would solve the problem. :T

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info sammysofa, I figured I'd try the analog board next but I have to save up some money. I have been having car problems and the car comes before the tv. At least I can switch to component on my sat tv receiver to get a clear picture. I'm definitely going to try the analog board though. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info sammysofa, I figured I'd try the analog board next but I have to save up some money. I have been having car problems and the car comes before the tv. At least I can switch to component on my sat tv receiver to get a clear picture. I'm definitely going to try the analog board though. Thanks again for the info.
No problem!

I was really lucky and found a new one on Ebay from a surplus seller for under $25.00. And that included the shipping! What a steal!! I also got a used Digital board for $27.00 shipped.

I haven't seen any more Analog boards at that price, but there are a few used ones in the $30.00 to $40.00 range shipped. I'm sure if you keep a look out, you will be able to find a deal on one. At least you can switch to component to get a clear picture until you are able to find one. My Satellite box is an older one and only has S-Video.

Since you have already replaced your Digital board, I would think that you would solve the problem by replacing the Analog board, but I did run into a post on a different forum where a guy had the same problem and replacing the Analog board after replacing the Digital board did not solve his problem. Here is a quote from his post:

Anyway, under warranty I had my set serviced for this problem. First they replaced the video board, no joy, but I got a new video board out of the deal. Then they replaced the analog module, but it didn't change anything so they pulled it out again. After that, the tech decided to contact his sources in Samsung technical support. They told him it was the DMD board. Well he got the companies to approve replacement of the whole light engine module. Wow, the Sammy's PQ was like new again, but it didn't fix the screen line problem with analog inputs.

The tech called Samsung technical support and they told him this time that the video board and analog module had to be replaced. He told him that had already been tried, but they insisted the two had to be replaced at exactly the same time to fix the problem.
Here is the link to his post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1074431/samsung-hln-hlm-series-dlp-screen-lines-on-all-analog-480i-inputs

I don't know what replacing both boards at the same time has to do with it, but that guy never followed through with it since he was happy with how the component signals looked. Maybe one board has an issue that causes the other new board to develop an issue. I don't know. All I know is I replaced all 3 at the same time and I don't have the problem anymore.

I'm fairly certain that the DMD board has nothing to do with the screen line problems. I fairly certain that if you replace the Digital board and the Analog board at the same time, it will fix your problem. I am not certain if you just replace the Analog board alone if it will or not. If you are able to find a used Digital board at a good price to install at the same time as the Analog board, that might be the way to go.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far I replaced the digital board because it just went out then I replaced the dmd and got my tv back to "working" order somewhat so now it's on to the analog board. Thanks for the link, I'll get it figured out one way or another. Thanks for the help sammysofa, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to update my "funny lines" situation. I found a used, exact match, analog board for my 61 inch Samsung tv but the lines are still there so now I'm not really sure what it is. The component video and the PC hookups still work great but the lines are still on the composite hookups. I'm going to keep on trying to figure this one out but for now it's OK as long as the component hookups work.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Have you replaced the power supply?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had to replace a the power supply last year. It has worked ever since, as far as the tv turning on and staying on. I did have an issue with the tv not turning on and that was the problem. I'll keep at it. Thanks for the help lcaillo.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
My guess is that you got a bad digital board. Most of these problems with lines end up being there.

I would go over the connections and grounds very carefully, pay attention to wire dress, as just having a wire mis-routed can cause you to pick up noise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would a miss routed wire just mess with the composite side of things only? Everything seems to be connected in the right spot. When I changed the digital board out I number each connection to keep them in the right order. All wires are in fine shape also. No loose or cut wires. I will double check tomorrow sometime. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just wanted to update my "funny lines" situation. I found a used, exact match, analog board for my 61 inch Samsung tv but the lines are still there so now I'm not really sure what it is. The component video and the PC hookups still work great but the lines are still on the composite hookups. I'm going to keep on trying to figure this one out but for now it's OK as long as the component hookups work.
As you know, I replaced the DMD, Digital, and Analog board in my T.V and those screens lines are gone. I put the old Digital and Analog boards back in, and the lines returned. I also put the new Analog board that I know works with my old Digital board, and the lines returned.

So, I know for a fact that the Digital board alone can cause this problem. I gave you a link in one of my older post where a guy had the same issue, and Samsung tech told him he had to replace both the Digital and Analog boards at the same time. Though, I am not sure why replacing them at the same time would be necessary. All I know is that if you replace both with working boards, that will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Sammy on the info but I just replaced the Digital board so I'm not sure if I want to buy another one unless I got a bad one. I also replace the DMD recently too. If I do get another digital board, it will be my 3rd. Maybe I will try it down the road. I'll figure it out in time and when I have the money saved up for maybe another digital board. I'll update again if things change for the better. Thanks again for the help guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Sammy on the info but I just replaced the Digital board so I'm not sure if I want to buy another one unless I got a bad one. I also replace the DMD recently too. If I do get another digital board, it will be my 3rd. Maybe I will try it down the road. I'll figure it out in time and when I have the money saved up for maybe another digital board. I'll update again if things change for the better. Thanks again for the help guys.
Yeah, with the used parts, it is hard to tell if you got a good one or not. It could have been a bad one, or it could be that the old Analog board caused it to have issues?

I just wonder why the Samsung techs insisted that both parts had to be replaced at the same time? Maybe a bad Analog board can cause an issue to happen with a good Digital board and vice versa. I don't know. After installing new boards, I put my old Digital board back in just for a few minutes. The lines returned, but it didn't cause any issues with my working Analog board as they went away again after putting the good Digital board back in. I was afraid to put the bad Analog board with the working Digital board, as I didn't want to take the risk of it causing an issue with it.

All I know for sure is that, if you replace both the Digital and Analog boards at the same time with working boards, it takes those lines away.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Samsung never insisted that both boards needed to be changed that I ever heard, and I never saw any service bulletin to that effect. With analog problems, many techs just don't bother to troubleshoot them because they are hard to get to some of the test points, and lines like this can be very hard to see on a scope, so they probably just didn't want to chance guessing wrong. In my experience it was rarely the analog board that was the problem. Saw many digital boards with strange problems that looked like analog issues.

This kind of thing is also often due to wire dress. Routing a wire in the wrong path and not where it was originally can be a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Samsung never insisted that both boards needed to be changed that I ever heard, and I never saw any service bulletin to that effect. With analog problems, many techs just don't bother to troubleshoot them because they are hard to get to some of the test points, and lines like this can be very hard to see on a scope, so they probably just didn't want to chance guessing wrong. In my experience it was rarely the analog board that was the problem. Saw many digital boards with strange problems that looked like analog issues.

This kind of thing is also often due to wire dress. Routing a wire in the wrong path and not where it was originally can be a problem.
According to a guy on another forum, they did. Here is the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1074431/samsung-hln-hlm-series-dlp-screen-lines-on-all-analog-480i-inputs

Hi all. My Samsung HLN507W started displaying screen lines (mostly horizontal) late last spring after almost 5 years and 20K hours use. The lines look like those on the attachment (I pirated the JPG from a thread started a couple of years ago on the problem).

The lines appear whenever an analog, 480i, input is used. That is, the RF antenna input, all composite, all s-video, and Component 1 with a 480i signal. The lines do not appear with the DVI input, the Component 2 & 3 inputs, or Component 1 input with a 480p signal.

Anyway, under warranty I had my set serviced for this problem. First they replaced the video board, no joy, but I got a new video board out of the deal. Then they replaced the analog module, but it didn't change anything so they pulled it out again. After that, the tech decided to contact his sources in Samsung technical support. They told him it was the DMD board. Well he got the companies to approve replacement of the whole light engine module. Wow, the Sammy's PQ was like new again, but it didn't fix the screen line problem with analog inputs.

The tech called Samsung technical support and they told him this time that the video board and analog module had to be replaced. He told him that had already been tried, but they insisted the two had to be replaced at exactly the same time to fix the problem. I was doubtful and my tech was doubtful. If we tried again, he would have to put my old light engine back in, so I called it good and we concluded that Samsung didn't know how to fix that particular problem and they were just trying what came up next.
I'm not certain if that is true, but going on the fact that I replaced both at the same time, and it took the lines away in my TV, and Rugbynut has replaced them at different times and it did not fix his problem, (Also the guy in the post had them replaced at different time with no solution) maybe there is something to it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts