Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my samsung dlp hln61wx wont turn on lamp. When I power on,hear chime,then hear a electronic whine noise,
sounds like a kazoo! the 3 light flash,and keeps repeating the start sequence,until unplugged.
ive replaced the lamp and the ballast.

UPDATE! Found out that the color wheel is intact,but is not moving. Removed the light engine and the color wheel housing is distorted and wires burnt at
color wheel connector. The color wheel is rubbing on its housing, i assume the signal to fire the lamp on will not occur because the CW is not up to speed?
I'll replace the wheel/housing and give the results soon.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be that the color wheel is never locking onto speed. It is likely the whine you hear. It typically starts up, then you hear is sound like it slows down then comes to a constant speed as the servo gets control. If it never comes up to speed, the light engine never signals the ballast to fire. You can monitor the lamp enable line to the ballast to check this. If you get that signal and you have power to the ballast, you have a problem with the ballast/lamp system.

Other possibilities are power supply. Do you have voltage from the power supply to the ballast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply Icaillo, yes the noise i hear is as you described, the colorwheel sounds like it spins
and slows,then stops. How do i monitor the lamp enable line to the ballast ? ,what color are the wires to check that, and what voltages should i see during power on? Do you have a schematic for this HLN617WX? or where can I find a tech manual?
Can i see if the colorwheel is moving upon power up,by removing the lamp housing? if it does move,then can it still be faulty?
thanks,greatly appreciate your help.:help::thud:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There are links to sites with service manuals in the DIY Repair forum stickies and in the vendor listings. I do not recall the exact locations of the points to test, thought I can tell you that there is a 4 or 5 line cable going to the ballast which is where you find the control signals. For the details you will need a service manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, no signal going to ballast,to light off the lamp. Received the CW today! installed it,and it works!!!!
had to mess with adjustment of the DMD to center the screen tho. Thanks to all for your help on getting
my DLP up and running again!! thanks Icaillo for your help!!
topfuel:bigsmile:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Thanks for the follow up post, and you are very much welcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same tv, same problem. I was thinking it was the ballast not the colorwheel. Could you share the method you used for determining the signal running to the ballast was fine? I can't find a service manual anywhere. Thanks in advance!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There are links to service manual services in the DIY Repair stickies and in the vendor listings. Some are free downloads, some charge a fee. Most are under $20 per manual.

I strongly suggest that you post a new thread and describe YOUR symptoms and conditions very precisely rather than tagging your problem onto someone else's thread. It makes information harder to sort out and makes it less likely that you will get help when your problem is mixed up in another thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am simply hoping he could tell me which pin to test on the cable to determine if there is signal going to the ballast. The rest I have deduced from other reading/searching :) If I encounter any other problems once I test this I will be sure to start my own thread, sorry for stepping on any toes.

-Sean

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You are not stepping on any toes. We just try to keep the forums clean so that it is easier to find things and you are more likely to get help. I also recommend having the manual and verifying any information for yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts