Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Samsung DLP HL-R5667W is freezing up especially when I watch in DVR mode or another a/v input mode like dvd or vhs. It starts with no sound, then freezes up, goes black screen, then starts again. It goes through this cycle every few minutes. It did this when I had a dvd player hooked up with component cables and watching a show through my DVR. My cable box is hooked up with a HDMI cable and I had these issues in both live TV mode as well as through the DVR. I took it to a service shop and they said it needs a new light engine - $800. The tv is 4 years old and out of warranty. I am wondering if a light engine is the correct diagnosis? There were not problems with picture and/or color...just the freezing up. All thoughts are appreciated. For that price I can get a new tv.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A digital board can do this also. My hl-r5067w did this at one point before the digital board died. Your tv is at the right age when people start having digital board issues. normaly 3.5 to 4 years of age. If your handy you can replace the digital board. It can be bought from www.samsungparts.com .

To me it sounds like the repair shop just gave you a _____ answer saying light engine. The parts of a light engine are replaceable. A quick list of the parts, dmd board, dmd chip, color wheel, light tunnel, and ballast. I may of missed a few but they are all replaceable, and only like one could make the issue you are saying but its more likely to be the digital board then the dmd board.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason1976 - Thank you for the response. I agree that the repair shop just game me some lame answer. After reading responses on this board, I came to the same conclusion - digital board needs replacing. I would like to replace it myself but am not sure where to find this part in the TV. I also want to make sure I order the exact part that I need. Do you know what the part number is? Is there a video or directions on how to replace the board? Anything to get me started would be helpful.

Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
730 Posts
http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-BP94-02084A.aspx

It cost less from discount merchant. the reason why the part number isn't the same is they take the number off the board. discount merchant takes the model number from the board and samsungparts takes the number from the outside protective metal case, but they are the same part.

If you check out the big topic of the hlr6167w you will see more info about the digital board. you will see photos and other people asking about the digital board.

This board is used in HLR4667W, HLR5067W, HLR5667W, HLR6167W, HLR6767W .

·
Registered
730 Posts
The board is on the left hand side of the tv as you are looking at the rear. It has the HDMI jack. It's in a metal protective case. you have to remove the analog board also to remove this from the tv. If you read the big topic about the hlr6167w digital board you will see people talking about removing this board. It will be very helpful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for helping me with this. So, what you are saying there is no difference in the digital boards except the samsung board is $100 more. If I order from discount-merchant I should be fine, right? I will definitely look at that other thread to learn more about installing the board. Is there anything else I need to know before I go ahead and start this "project"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, by installing a new board - how many years do you think I should get out of it? I have had it for over 4 years now. Come to think of it, I haven't replaced the lamp either...knock on wood!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick question: I spoke with someone at discount-merchant and they said I should look into this board:
BP41-00237B Digital Video Board for SAMSUNG HLR5667W

But then I found out that these boards are "used" - pulled out of other working TV's and am not sure I want to buy a used board.

Thanks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The ones from www.samsungparts.com are used also. Refurbished boards so they have been repaired. Both places offer a 30 day return policey for bad boards. With the tv being 4 years old your not going to find a new board.

If you replace your lamp the video will get brighter. Thats one old lamp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke with someone at samsungparts and she told me the board was "new" not refurbished nut new. I guess she was "mistaken". Ha! anyway, on that ebay listing, you said it was listed wrong...what do you mean? Is that the correct board or no? I would say that the picture is starting to look darker. If the board is replaced and works then I will look in to a new lamp. Thanks again!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I spoke with someone at samsungparts and she told me the board was "new" not refurbished nut new. I guess she was "mistaken". Ha! anyway, on that ebay listing, you said it was listed wrong...what do you mean? Is that the correct board or no? I would say that the picture is starting to look darker. If the board is replaced and works then I will look in to a new lamp. Thanks again!
They have it listed as the analog tuner board, but the part number listed is really the digital board. Photo also shows the digital board. So it should work for your tv. It should be what you need.

When I ordered my board from samsungparts.com it was clearly used and all covered in dust. I called them and they told me the boards are rebuilt. At first they also told me they were new. Then I asked why it had thread marks for the screws and was all covered in dust.

Another thing you may want to try is the VGA port on the back of your tv to see if it works ok using that. People have had luck using that jack. If that jack works without locking up then you know for sure its the digital board. The issue we have had with the digital board is the dnie chip. The vga jack doesn't use the dnie chip.

Not sure if u have a VGA cable laying around but if you have a flat pannel monitor you most likely have the cable it can be unscrewed from the back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Actually, the TV seems like it gets worse and worse by the day. Before, I would at least get a picture and sound and problems wouldn't arise until about 10 minutes after being on. This time I got black screen and no control of any buttons right off the bat. I could hear a strange "click" noise like it was trying to do something but couldn't. I tried the component, and HDMI cables and none would work.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is this click mechanical or throught the speakers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would say it is mechanical. It sounds like it is coming from the back inside of the machine. I would try and change the source and would hear a slight click in the machine...like it's trying to change inputs. I also could not get the menu to come up on the TV. Are you familiar with this?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is the color wheel speed consistent?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The click sound could be the ballast. Can you get the tv to do anything on any input? Does it make the start up sound? Could the clicking be from the tv power cycling over and over? Do you see the lamp coming on threw the vents in the back of the tv?

You also could try unplugging it and letting it set over night and try power it on again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you are correct. I just turned it on again. I could not get the tv to do anything. The click seemed to be a part of the cycle it goes through. It does make the start up chime sound. The lamp does come on but still just a black screen. I have been unplugging over night but still have the same issues when I turn it on in the morning. This is the first time I am getting a 100% black screen with no control, though. I am starting to wonder if I should ditch it for something new.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't know how to check the color wheel speed?
Listen to it start up, you should hear the speed stabilize and it should stay consistent in sound. You should be able to tell if the sound is coming from there or the antenna switch or somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts