Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue originally happened back in the fall, so I needed and bought a replacement TV. I had been watching this site, and when I saw about the reflow fix I thought I had to try it and then hopefully sell the TV to a friend of mine.

I had JD reflow my board and the service was great. Got it back, watched it for a couple of weeks, and it was just like the good old days. My friend came over and watched movies with us a couple of times during that period, and eventually I felt confident selling the TV to him. I did not price research -- asked $300, which was a price we were both happy with. Of course, just a few days after it was in his house, the problem returned. I double-checked w/ laptop connected to the VGA port, no issues there, so it must be the board.

So the reflow did not work... Would it be worth investing in reball at this point (or could a CHIP itself actually have gone bad?)? I'm not really considering a new board, because of what I have read (here) about the settings possibly (probably, in my case) not matching up, and my having no expertise to restore them via the method that has been generally referred to here.

I guess what I wonder is how much I could really sell this TV for at this point, even if I get it fully working. My friend has already bought something else. I hate to toss the thing out, but have no use for it anymore, and I would only be able to sell it locally, due to its size and fragility (for shipping).

·
Registered
730 Posts
You could part it out. you could sell the light engine, analog board, power supply, and things like that. you could have JD reflow it again since he offers a 90 day warranty on the reflow.(he shouldnt charge you for the reflow. You could also ask how much to have it reballed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could part it out. you could sell the light engine, analog board, power supply, and things like that. you could have JD reflow it again since he offers a 90 day warranty on the reflow.(he shouldnt charge you for the reflow. You could also ask how much to have it reballed.
Hmmm... For the reflow I would have to pay shipping again. I would think that if it failed once, it would fail again? If I were to send it back, I think it would be for the reball, and I would see if he would knock anything off the price because of the failed reflow.

How much do you think I could get for the parts? Sell on Ebay? Is there much demand? Thanks Jason!

·
Registered
730 Posts
You would have to do a search to see what the parts are going for. The digital board should go for around 150 to 269 dollars with it being reballed and in good working order, but you would have to do a buy it now price and let it sit until it sells. Since the boards are mostly on backorder you would most likely get your asking price. Now as for the light engline I saw people selling them for like 200 up to 500 dollars. I am not sure how you could get out of the power supply or the analog boards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts