Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my HLR-5067W for about 6 years and after about year 3 the hdmi port would work only occasionally. It appeared to be loose as if you supported it with something it would work for a while. I read somewhere that the weight of the hdmi male connection and cable commonly "weighs down" the female port and pulls it off the board. I found a nice guide on repairing it by re-soldering that included using a metal reinforcement piece with screws to help prevent it from recurring (similar to a dvi/vga port). Unfortunately, I've lost that link so if anyone has access to something along those lines that would be great....

Fast forward to the last 6 months...after the HDMI completely failed I started using Component and Optical instead. That worked...for awhile. Now, one component input doesn't work at all and the other works, but only if you wiggle it just right (similar to the HDMI when it first started acting up). The Optical still puts out audio fine.

What are my options? Have the inputs re-soldered or new soldered on? Can I purchase a new board instead

Thanks in advance for any advice, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Welcome to HTS!!! :D I assume that you are referring to the Samsung HL-R5067W plasma TV? For the best pq you really need the HDMI; if you can re-solder the connection it would be best.

I saw a HDMI "lock" that is designed to stop this from happening (breaking the internal connection) and make a more solid connection. I'm not 100% sure where I saw the device (Stereophile mag??), but I'll see if I can find it and post a link. I don't know if it will help, but it may.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it's not a plasma, but a DLP set.

Thanks for the link though, those look like they would do the trick!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You will need to replace the digital board, most likely. Not an uncommon scenario on this series of sets. At this age, it may not be worth putting much into the set considering all of the other potential problems that are common.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
A very common complaint about DLP sets is replacement cost and rate of the lamp. It IS something to consider if you require more than a simple fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts