Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung HLR5067W: Screen goes black - Audio Remains.
Several months back my 5 years old HLR5067W started displaying the following behavior:
- Launches OK
- After running for a while (anywhere between minutes and hours) the screen automatically turns itself off. Note that only the video is lost, audio remains.
- All indicator lights are off (as during normal operation).
To restore the picture I must turn the TV off, wait a few seconds and restart.

Side notes:
- This only happens after a high-brightness image comes on screen (such as a flashing light on the video or a mostly white frame).
- Just before turning off, pixel thin white/pink/green horizontal lines flicker across the screen.
- Some times the screen is crisscrossed with flickering green/pink lines right before the video turns off
- Happens much quicker on full-screen HD operation (to the point I forced it to using only 4:3 LD)
- This happens under similar circumstances (high brightness frames) in all (HDMI / Component / VGA) input modes.
- This is NOT a lamp issue (replaced several times in the past)
- This is NOT a color wheel issue (replaced several months before new problem); worked well for a while after recalibrating
- This is probably not an overheating issue (found no correlation between room or set temperature and issue occurrence)

My main (and hopeful) suspect is the ballast... please reinforce my conclusion or persuade me otherwise :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some (late) news:
Finally broke and bought a replacement Ballast (prices went down some) - but to no avail. :scratch:
It seemed like the issue improved, yet the screen shut-offs persist, under similar circumstances (high-brightness frames).

Anybody came across similar HL-R issues? any new pointers?

Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The thin horizontal lines tell me this is likely a digital or DMD board, likely the former, but it is hard to tell. I would be checking the power supplies first, looking for changes when the image goes out. Power supply is usually the first place to start. There are multiple regulators throughout the set that need to be monitored. The voltages on the digital and DMD boards would be the places I would be looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks LC, I'll look in these directions.

While at it, any idea what these dlp-projection TVs do as the screen brightness goes up? Do they increase the power supply to the lamp to generate the extra photons?
Also, would the digital board participate in all the activities (including non-HD screening)?

I'm less suspicious of the power supply itself as the shut-off basically hits the lamp alone.
Now wondering which components monitor overheating of the lamp module....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The lamp bightness is rather constant and is affected by modulating the current to the lamp in the ballast. Brightness changes in DLP sets are effected by the DLP mirror system.

Power supplies are distributed with many levels of regulation and can affect virtually any aspect of operation.

I am not sure what you are asking about the digital board but I think the answer to your question is that it participates in most signal processing and system control.

Lamp overheating is monitored by a thermistor that will shut the entire system down. This is not likely your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent... this is by far the most informative (and rational) answer I got in almost a year, including from the useless support at Samsung (that got me to buy the ballast).

As no good deed goes unpunished:
This is making perfect sense, especially since the lamp - now I notice - is not realy off, just not conveying light to the screen, while the sound remains.

So, which component controls the mirrors, such that will collapse (?) them, providing a constant dark frame? is it more likely the digital board or the DMD?

I understand the flickering lines (extending beyond the currently selected 4:3) may point to the digital board.
Not sure if the fact that this dark screen happens in ALL input modes (HDMI Low/High rez, VGA, composite) and specifically during lingering high brightness screens, provides any further clue.

Many many thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If it is affected by video content it is most likely digital board, but it could still be either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently acquired this model television and I am having the exact same problem you described in this thread. I'm curious if you ever solved your problem and if it would be economical for me to repair this TV. It's rather old but I prefer to repair what I have over buying something new. Thanks for any input.

Marvin

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Unfortunately, these sets are a time and money sink. I don't know if you can even get the parts any more, but the boards were notoriously unreliable. Digital boards failed in most, then failed again, if the replacements even worked. DMD boards were less of an issue but I saw quite a few of those fail as well. Lamps and ballasts were typical of most DLPs, perhaps a little more likely to fail than average. Power supplies often had the swolen caps...

I gave up on mine years ago after at least 4 repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is disappointing, but it was a free replacement to a 10 year old TV that quit on me. It works fine some days, but others it will go dark 3-4 times in a one hour show. Pity Samsung didn't do a recall on it since it was so unreliable. Thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts