Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was given a 50" Samsung HLR5067WAX/XAA.
One of my friends at work had this for approximately 3 years, he just replaced the lamp in it, and then started having snow issues, and had a service technician out, the tech said that a board needed to be replaced.
The TV worked for about a day after the tech did a reset and now it doesn't work. Instead of fixing the TV my friend decided to purchase a new sony flat screen, so now I have his old one.
Here's my best way to describe it, and my apologies if I botch this.
I plug the TV in and push power on the remote, it turns on and the lamp light flashes, after about 45 seconds the light goes out and the screen is on, but nothing works (tried different inputs).
when I push buttons on the remote the timer light flashes on the bottom of the TV, after about 2 minutes the TV turns off by itself and the red standbye / temp light turns on.

Is there anything else I can do to further troubleshoot?
I figure if I spend a few hundred bucks and have a nice working TV for a few years I'm ahead of the game as this will be a huge step up from the 32" Sony Wega Trinitron that it would be replacing.

thank you for the help!

Johnny

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
When you say the screen is on, do you mean that the lamp is lit? Do you se anything else?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If you have no control this sounds like mine when the digital board got to its worst. YOu could try to the pressure trick on the DNIE chip and see if it has any effect. If it does then you will have a little more evidence to suggest the digital board is your problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have no control this sounds like mine when the digital board got to its worst. YOu could try to the pressure trick on the DNIE chip and see if it has any effect. If it does then you will have a little more evidence to suggest the digital board is your problem.
I will give the pressure trick a try and see what I can do.
Has there been any updates on when samsung will have more boards in stock for these?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
They are constantly in and out of stock. I just got one a week ago. You have to check when you need it and various vendors will differ on inventory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I tried the pressure trick, and I still have the same problem.

Is this the board that I need to order?
http://www.samsungparts.com/part_de...&product_id=BP94-02049E&search_model=HLR5067W

Is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot?
I didn't put a ton of pressure on the chip, should I try a little more?
i had to hold down the metal cage when installing it back on and securing with the screws for the DVI & VGA inputs. It definitely feels like there is adequate pressure.

Thanks!

Edit-
I had to change the link, that board is for a HLR5667W, I have a HLR5067W.
Which apparently they have in stock. :)
Johnny

Edit #2-
I fibbed, that's the wrong board,
I was working on the board with the dnie chip. this one http://www.samsungparts.com/part_de...&product_id=BP96-02170A&search_model=HLR6167W

Thanks again!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I cannot tell you which board to order nor can I suggest more specific troubleshooting techniques without doing specific research on your set. Both of these are beyond the scope of the forum. I can tell you that your problem seems similar to what I experienced with a bad digital board, but these symptoms are certainly not conclusive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot tell you which board to order nor can I suggest more specific troubleshooting techniques without doing specific research on your set. Both of these are beyond the scope of the forum. I can tell you that your problem seems similar to what I experienced with a bad digital board, but these symptoms are certainly not conclusive.
Thank you lcaillo,
I'm very limited with my knowledge of these TV sets.
I'll order up a digital board and see if that fixed my problem.
Do you think I would gain anything if I sent the board in to be reflowed and have the dnie chip reballed?

I forgot to add.
Thank you for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!
I've moderated forums before and if anything mods are looked on with an evil eye.

So a truly heart felt thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me with my issue.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The DMD and Digital boards are not the same. If it is the DMD board you would have the problem on all signal types.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The DMD and Digital boards are not the same. If it is the DMD board you would have the problem on all signal types.
I don't get anything on any signal types, just simply a blank screen, no audio, no response from the controls on the TV, when I push buttons on the remote the timer light flashes on the front of the set.

My apologies I meant digital board per your advise. I will give that a try first as it seems to be fairly common problem.

Thanks!
Johnny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most likely it's the digital board. You can ether have the solder reflowed or buy a replacement digital board. The reflow may work or it may not work. Most have good luck with the solder reflow. Or you can buy a replacement from ether www.samsungparts.com or http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=BP41-00237A+
thank you Jason,
I'll be ordering up a replacement digital board from samsung when I get home from vacation.
hopefully they won't be to far backordered.

Johnny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I installed a new Digital board, and voila everything works!
The TV came up with the picture being upside down and backwards. I figured out how to get into service mode and change this.
The picture looks great to me, but is there anything else I need to do?
Everything seems to be working great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I installed a new Digital board, and voila everything works!
The TV came up with the picture being upside down and backwards. I figured out how to get into service mode and change this.
The picture looks great to me, but is there anything else I need to do?
Everything seems to be working great!

Thanks!
Thats great. If you have any more issues come back and we would be happy to try and help. I didn't have to change any other settings on my digital board it worked without even having to flip the screen. We see this issue way to often with this set, but it makes it easy to repair since we have seen it so many times.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.