Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Hi there everyone, I am new to the forums and am glad to be a part of a community that has done such fine work with this samsung digital board business. I have been troubleshooting my aforementioned HLR5067wax/xaa television and after reading a lot of what you guys have been doing i have decided that my digital board is bad.
Now firstly, here are the issues I have been having with the television:

Trouble turning on the tv ( lamp light blinks, nothing happens, tv turns off(no standby light))
if im lucky the tv turns on, but no picture (lamp is on, OSD is showing, but wont respond to button pushing)
other than that, sometimes the tv works fine for a couple of days/hours, but theres no consistency

Ive never had any plaid-lined distortion, or picture degradation at all until this morning. My gut is telling me that my digital board is bad, and I am considering trying to reflow the board myself. I have fixed a couple of YLOD PS3 systems(using a heat gun, flux and good luck) in the past(for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, a bunch of PS3s and XBOX360s have had very similar bga/cpu/gpu problems - solder breaking and essentially ruining the console). I was hoping to see if anybody has tried this themselves yet, and any suggestions or requests.

Thanks for your input!
Nick

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have been, and remain, very skeptical about the effectiveness of reflowing these chips. Even with the right equipment the repairs often do not seem to last. Withouth a reflow machine it is very likely that most will cause damage to the surrounding components or circuit board before getting the chip to a high enough temperature for effective reflow. Even if it does reflow the solder, which is unlikely for a DIY attempt, any impurities that may have caused the original problem will still be there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If my old digital board is trashed, why not try to put some life into it? I canNOt afford a new board right now, and I am determined to give it a shot. I have a playstation 3 that has worked for 5 months since i reflowed it, and a lot of people said that was a temporary fix. In fact, our friends over at JDElectronics do it every day to PS3s and XBOXs. it IS possible to reflow these digital boards with a heat gun, and if anyone is interested in trying to FIX a CURRENTLY BROKEN digital board, here are the factors I found useful when repairing bad PS3 bgas:

0.5. It probably would help to know what a BGA is, and what generally happens when BGAs go bad. A BGA is a chip on a board, kinda like a computer CPU, but instead of the spiderleg connectors going around the chip like you may be used to, the chip is connected to the board by a grid of solder balls UNDERNEATH the chip. Hence Ball Grid Array. BGA. what happens with bgas that go bad is usually an overheating issue, and some of the solder balls underneath the chip can break, disconnecting the chip partially from the board. This is why the pressure trick would work for a while, pushing the solder balls back into being connected. were going to use heat and flux to try and re-melt the solder back into shape.

1. BGA reflowing is risky, and could destroy the board if not done properly. I started off by watching a few videos. search youtube for "ps3 ylod fix part3 gilksy" for an idea of what youll be doing. This video is of a PS3 motherboard reflow on 4 or so BGAs that go bad using a heat gun.

2: first off, special BGA rework stations are the best way to reflow a board, but if you dont have thousands to spend on an IR or heat station, then a heat gun will do($30). Before you buy a heat gun, be aware that you need to find one that has the ability to reach 350 to 400 degrees CELSIUS.
My heat gun goes to 400 degrees celcius, and it worked for me. any more heat than that will most likely damage the chip itself.

3. The guy in the video doesnt show it, but for the best results, you should have some NO CLEAN LEAD FREE FLUX ready(liquid flux). wait..he does show it...search youtube for "fluxing ps3 bga's+ clamp bending" You apply flux on the COLD board before putting any heat into it. The video shows how to apply the flux, letting the flux run under the BGA you want to reflow. flux is sticky business, it can be messy, but its ok if the flux runs over components that you dont want reflowed. Id probably want to clean the board around the chip off first with a duster, or some isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber. you dont want dust getting under the BGA during the reflow.

4. before reflowing, you need to have a way to fix the board in place LEVEL to the ground. you DO NOT want the board reflowed if not level, because that could easily ruin the insides of the chip once the solder starts melting.

5. the reflow with a heat gun is a two part process; I first get the heat gun running at 400 degrees celsius and then heat the top of the chip( after putting flux through the chip and the board) for about 45 seconds, running the heat gun in circles(always keeping the flow of air moving) about 1.5 to 2 inches above the chip. once the 45 seconds are up i DO NOT MOVE OR TOUCH THE BOARD FOR 15-20 MINUTES. the board MUST cool down before you move it again, or else you can ruin everything you have done. while cooling, i have heard little clicks and sounds coming from the board, but in my experience, it is all part of the cooling process and is not damage to the board.

6. Once the board has cooled, I turn the board around, fix it LEVEL in place again, and heat the underside of the board, directly underneath the chip im reflowing from the other side of the board. same thing, 45 seconds of constant moving heat, and dont touch or move the board for another 15-20. at this point the chip should be reflowed.

7. cross your fingers and put the parts back together, and hope this works.

This is all at your own risk sort of business, obviously, but I hope that this helps anyone else out there. I will be reflowing my samsung digital board tonight after work using these steps. hopefully it works. if anyone is interested in pictures or anything let me know! Wish me luck!
Nick

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is much guesswork with this process. It is not something that I would recommend most people try. Some may have success, but many are likely to create more problems than they solve.

A number of users here have had only temporary success with reflow on these boards by JDE, a professional with the right equipment. In all, it seems like a gamble. It may be reasonable if you don't intend to fix the set otherwise, but if you do, you risk damaging the core if you are going to buy a board.

The bottom line here is to be cautious and not assume too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.