Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the info on this board so far. I am trying to debug my situation.

Right now the tv will not turn on. I see the lamp blink in green on the front for 30 secs then goes off. With the back open i can see the lamp is on. Will a lamp that is dead still turn on? Last week i got the green boxes and lines while using the cable input and input to the rca when turning on the wii. But my ps3 was fine thru hdmi. So i took out the boards, analog and digital and gave them a good cleaning. Replaced everything and now the tv will not turn on. I see the lamp if firing and then it goes off after 20 -30 secs. I have the blue rocker lamp cover trigger taped down.

So i am trying to figure out if its the lamp? Ballast? or digital board.

Can someone work with me? Suggestions

Thanks for the help

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
A bad lamp will generally not start, but sometimes will run for a while then shut down. From the other symptoms it sounds like you may have a bad digital board, but I would try to confirm this with more troubleshooting. One method is to apply pressure to the DNIE chip, which often has solder connections that are defective, and see if your symptoms change.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last night i did the apply pressure to the chip and no change.

the power button was blinking lamp then the red standby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the lamp fires still, its full on. but no picture. Does that mean the lamp is bad? the power button in the from blinks lamp and standbye/temp

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
If the lamp is lit and stays lit it is good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, i will take my chances with a new digital board. Just ordered from Discount merchant. Will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just a warning i have heard of people getting bad ones from discount merchant. Sometimes it takes a week before they mess up and if you unplug your tv again they will be fine for a week again. They only give the 30 day warranty if a shop installs it. I think its a 7 day if you install it yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. i read some where that BP94-02084A were bad boards so i made sure i did not get that model number.

As soon as i get it i will put in and see how it works. thanks for the heads up.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Has anyone asked Discount Merchant where they are sourcing their boards? They are not a Samsung authorized distributor that I know of. My guess is that they are pulls from sets that are damaged or scrapped, like Shop Jimmy. There are lots of suppliers popping up selling essentially used boards in this manner. Like the problems that I pointed out with sending your board off to have chips reflowed, if the seller has no live set of your exact model for testing, you and they have no idea whether what you are getting will be the right part nor whether it is even a working part. This is a VERY big problem with repairs these days. We discuss it with vendors all the time. Some have actual rebuild facilities in cooperation with the manufacturers (PTS, TSM, Encompass) and some are very careful about the source of their boards (ShopJimmy). Even these vendors still send out a bad board, wrong part, or wrong version frequently.

Think about it. LOTS of these sets have intermittent problems. Even if you had a test jig for live testing of these boards, a lot of problems are likely to get through the system. If you have no live testing it is just a shot in the dark that you are getting a good, reliable, working board.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i got the digital board today and it did not help. The lamp fires and does it normal burn in, then shuts off, i then can hit the power button and it comes on again with a blank screen, 1 time i saw a black and white checker board. then it shuts off, i can not get any menus or change the inputs. the lamp led just blinks. I do not hear the beeping upon start up either.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
730 Posts
It sounds like discount merchant may of sent you a bad digital board. One thing to check is the wires on the analog board. Make sure they are hooked to the right jacks a few of them can plug into the wrong area on the board. Also if the back of the tv is off check the lamp door switch is taped down or a wire around it to hold it back. If it thinks the lamp door is open the tv wont turn on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the reply., i had the lamp switch taped down. I am almost 100% sure the wires are all in the correct spot. I have taken it out several times and don't see to many other ways. Do you know if there is a pic anywhere?

I will have to contact DM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
oh snap, just found this pic. i did have 1 in the wrong spot. well it came up but the analog channels have the green screen. when i use hdmi my ps3is fine. so i have new digital board in there. So the new board did not fix the green lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you know what stinks about this is i have to send it back to them to test, now i have to trust their testing, if it is deemed dead i will get a full refund, but if it works for them i get the 25% restocking fee. I was lucky enough to find someone local who has the same tv and let me borrow his board (since he was not using the tv)and it worked fine. So i am pretty sure the board is dead.

I guess i should just get it from samsung parts.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You need to let them know what it was doing. Let them know the issue doesn't always happen on all inputs only on some. If you want a replacement from them then they shouldn't charge a restocking fee.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do.

I don't think i want another board from them if they are going to send my bad 1's hence the restocking free.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't think they knew it was bad. They most likely thought since the tv powered up it worked. Then parted it out. Some of these boards are good for a few days before you see lines. I even received a bad board from www.samsungparts.com .The 2nd one worked great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i agree, i don't think they sent me a bad 1 on purpose, but now i have to ship back on my own dollar, crossing my fingers that it does not work for them as well so i can get a full refund.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts