Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HLR5667W won't start.

When I start, it makes some noise and then usual Samsung startup noise folloed by high pitch noise and blinking lamp sign. It goes on for a minute and does the same cycle again for few times and then all I see three front signs blinking.

Not sure, if I should spend too much $$$ fixing it or just get a new TV. I just changed bulb about 3 months ago. I opened the back and checked lamp and it seems to be fine. Haven't checked anything else.

Any help to figure out what's wrong would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jayesh

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Does the high pitched noise sound mechanical? Color wheel? Or maybe you are just hearing the ballast firing. Take the back off and see if there is a spark gap on the ballast lighting up when the noise occurs and listen for where it comes from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the high pitched noise sound mechanical? Color wheel? Or maybe you are just hearing the ballast firing. Take the back off and see if there is a spark gap on the ballast lighting up when the noise occurs and listen for where it comes from.
So is it OK to turn the TV on when the back is off? I will try that tonight.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Don't look directly at light coming from the lamp if it lights up as it has a high UV content. You will need to close the safety switch on the back cover to get it to try to start. BE VERY CAREFUL!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't look directly at light coming from the lamp if it lights up as it has a high UV content. You will need to close the safety switch on the back cover to get it to try to start. BE VERY CAREFUL!
My TV is in such a corner, I have to disconnect fully and relocate if I want to remote full back panel; I will try today with help of my kids.

Before I do that, I just tried to see what lights I can see in the back. I don't think lamp lights up at all but I see some green light coming up behind DMD Board (I used video to identify DMD board ...on youtube but I can't put a link since I am a new member)to identify what is it called at 1:09 minute)for few seconds and then shutting it down ...this happens 3 times along with other symptoms I explained before front 3 lights starts blinking ..and that's about it.

Please let me know, if this gives you any hint on what could be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing ..looking at other threads, it sounds like a problem with a color wheel. What would be the best/quick way to confirm that color wheel is bad?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
The color wheel has to spin up and lock on speed before the lamp enable line will allow the ballast to fire. Listen to it. If you hear loud squealing or scraping, or if you don't hear it turning, it is likely bad. If you look into the light path you should be able to see it and see if there are any broken segments. When a color wheel starts up it will spin up to a high speed then back off a bit as the servo locks. Then the lamp will fire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The color wheel has to spin up and lock on speed before the lamp enable line will allow the ballast to fire. Listen to it. If you hear loud squealing or scraping, or if you don't hear it turning, it is likely bad. If you look into the light path you should be able to see it and see if there are any broken segments. When a color wheel starts up it will spin up to a high speed then back off a bit as the servo locks. Then the lamp will fire.
Thanks a lot. I have TV disconnected and at a place where I can open back panel and try few things. Hopefully, it's just color wheel.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It does take some care and delicate assembly to replace a color wheel. Not a hard job if you are good with assembling something complex exactly the way it came apart and are good with your hands but you do have to be careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts