Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am experiencing a strange problem with my TV. It will be working fine, then shut down and give me the 3 blinking lights. All I need to do to get it to turn back on is press the power button once and it comes back to life. This happens at intermittent moments with no regular pattern. It can happen right after I turn it on, or after it is warmed up. Is it possible that the bulb is going bad or is it something more sinister. I don't want to replace it if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What does the manual tell you. IIRC, all three leds flashing is a bad lamp on these, though it could also be other problems. If the troubleshooting guide in the manual says lamp is bad, you need to start by replacing it with the identical OEM lamp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well now it's totally dead and when I try to turn it on it sounds like a motor boat starting up. Any further advice? Any idea on the cost for service on these TV's? Would it be better to replace?. Thanks again for any help....

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
"Sounds like a motor boat starting up" doesn't really tell me much. Is it sound through the speakers or mechanical sound from the set? Could be a color wheel or light tunnel and color wheel if the latter, but this is largely guessing without more detail.

B

·
0 Posts
it may be worth checking if your color wheel is bad. there is a good video on youtube showing how to get to it. ( not hard ). i just replaced mine following this video. problem solved. the only thing i discovered on my hlr5668w is that the tv will not come on if you don't replace the plastic cover over your lamp housing. there is a little blue toggle switch that needs to be held in by this cover. i fixed my tv for around $140 including 2 day air.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
This is a point that may be useful to others, thanks for mentioniong it. It is not just your hlr5668w...virtually all sets have to have the lamp cover or the rear panel on (or the switch closed) in order to operate. A common problem is people not getting the cover on straight and not closing the switch, or trying to test with the cover off and not getting any response.

The reason for these switches is that the lamps produce a lot of UV that can damage the eyes. Some sets with the back cover off can be very dangerous to look at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts