Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone.

I'm a first time poster coming for some help/advice before I turn to TV repair. Forgive me if I'm saying something completely out of place. I probably just don't know better. :) After a lot of Googling without luck, you guys/gals seem to be the most knowledgeable and polite on the net.

So here's my story:

I have a HLR6167WAX XAA that was a floor model at Circuit City. I got it from a friend/ex-employee. It has been my best friend for about 3 years now. It's always had issues with the tv sometimes freezing. For example, when changing inputs it may become unresponsive, hang for a second, and then come back. It can repeat that for a maximum of maybe 5 times before resuming normal operation. I always considered it part of the TV's character and part of the bargain price I got it for. That's not my issue. I'm just mentioning it in case it is a symptom.

The main issue has been going on for maybe a few months. Sometimes it isn't as bad as others. The actual problem comes when bright colors are on the screen. The worst color is white and it seems to be worse when the white is on the lower part of the screen. Either dead center or to the right. The positioning is just guess work.

If the problem isn't too bad, the picture will slide up or down and a horizontal blue bar of varying heights will appear. Normally at the bottom, but it does appear at the top sometimes.

If the color is severe or my TV is having an off day, I lose picture and receive a screen saying "Not Supported Mode" or the generic message for source not detected which escapes me at the moment despite seeing it regularly.

Like I said, I've had it for 3 years. I've not had the bulb replaced. The screen is probably darker, but nothing has jumped out at me and I've received no warning messages about it. There are no unusual sounds and the TV does not power itself off ever. No vertical lines. No white dots. Just horizontal blue bar and picture loss.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
22 Posts
It sounds like there is an issue with connection to the device it's hooked up to. Maybe if the connectors have been pulled perpendicular to the connector the inputs on the tv may have been pulled loose from the pcb. I would probably open up the tv and see if there seems to be anything wrong with the electronics as well because it may just be as little as replacing a resistor. Just overall check the state of wires and connectors for the electronics of the tv.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Probably a bad digital or analog board. More troubleshooting and signal substitution would be needed to narrow it down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I disappeared for a while. I've been so busy with work I've barely even turned my tv on. However, the few times I did I have noticed that it does seem to be only the Component inputs and AV seems to function fine if that helps narrow anything down.

I'm going to pop my TV open as soon as I get a chance this week and look around for signs of trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts