Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had this buried in an oh so familiar "My DNIe chip went bad" post, but I thought I'd pull it out to it's own thread.

I was going to pull the digital board and have JD reflow the chip. So I was in a hurry, and I had read on here that each cable is unique and only fits in one spot, so I just took a quick picture of the board with the cables plugged in, and then ripped it all out. I got the board back, and at that time I noticed that there were actually multiple places to plug in a few of the cables. So... I plugged it all in based on my horrible picture. I powered it up, nothing. So then I studied the picture again and saw just the edge of a connector that I had in the wrong spot. So I swapped that connector to the other one that it fit in, powered it up, and it worked.... except... I had no remote control sensor. The sensor area powers and I have indicator LEDs (temp, standby, etc...). Remote controls, however, do not work. So my assumption is I have the remote control sensor cable plugged into the wrong spot. I assume it's one of the smaller connectors, and there are 2 or 3 different spots along the back-left corner of the board that it could plug into.

So now 4 months later, JD's reflow gave out as expected. The symptoms are the exact same as before, and the VGA port still works fine. So I'm sure it's still the digital board. I have a pretty common set, chassis, etc... In fact, I think I have the exact same set that Leonard did the huge write-up on. I'm good with replacing the board, but I've seen you guys warn that you should record your service menu settings before you do. Well... I can't get to the service menu without a remote control!

So at this point you guys probably think I'm a moron, but hopefully someone will take pity on me. Hopefully I haven't shorted it out, and it's just a matter of getting the cable in the right spot.

All I need is something that I can use to figure out where all the cables go. A schematic, a good description of the remote sensor cable and where it goes, a picture of someone's board with everything plugged in, a picture of the board with labels of what goes where, anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Get a service manual. There are a number of possible sources in the vendor listings and in the DIY Stickies. Some are free and some are for a fee. I recommend never doing any service without the proper documentation. Experienced techs often need it, why would DIYers expect that they should not?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good. I bought and downloaded the service manual. The bad news is, I think I may have the cable plugged into the right spot. So here's hoping I didn't short it out or something.

Otherwise, is there a way to get to the service menu without a remote? Like, via the buttons on the side of the tv?

Thanks!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am not aware of any method other than the one in the service literature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success. The cable was simply backwards. And I'm off and running.

Thanks for pointing me to the service manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts