Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung HL-S6187W. The only thing that is different/wrong is I have no picture, just a black screen. It otherwise works normally.
Front power LED & powerup sound are normal. I can see light from the main bulb leaking out the back of the unit and hear the cooling fan. I can hear sound from the signal source just fine. The video does not display, nor does the menu when I hit the menu button on the tv. I can cycle through the inputs just fine (I can hear the audio change) but the input indicator does not show on the screen. When I turn it off I hear the normal shutdown sound and the fan keeps running to cool the bulb off like it should.
It did this once a couple days ago, but I turned it off, waited for it to cool down, then turned it on again and it worked fine for several uses. Then today I again have no picture. After trying different inputs, turning it off and back on right away (before the bulb turns off) and the menu button again (took a couple minutes) I turned it off, let it cool down, turned it on and still had no picture, but after sitting for about a minute the picture suddenly came up.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Could be either a bad digital board or a bad DMD or DMD board. Usually you would have problems switching inputs and with other functions if a digital board, but I have seen them fail this way. It will take some troubleshooting to find out. You will need to get service documentation and learn how to go into the service mode and activate the service test patterns that are generated on the DMD module. If they appear you have a bad digital module. If not, either a bad DMD or DMD board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The no picture on startup problem hasn't happened recently, but now I've had a couple times when I've been watching a show and the picture will just freeze. Based on the audio I can change inputs and volume just fine but the picture stays frozen for up to a minute and then starts working again normally. Does this behavior help narrow down the problem component?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I turn the tv off and right back on while the picture is frozen, the screen goes black and stays black until the tv starts working normally again a minute or so later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a couple times now where the colors on the screen will get mixed up and I can hear something inside the TV (I'm thinking the color wheel) start spinning much faster than normal. Once I turn the TV off it continues to spin faster than normal for a couple seconds and then spins down. The fan stays on as normal.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
My guess is most likely a bad color wheel. Could be the servo on the DMD board, or power supply, but the only time I ran into loss of speed lock it was the CW itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts