Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the Hobbit on BluRay 3D. The movie has been split onto 2 discs.

Isnt there enough space on a single BluRay to hold the entire 3D Movie? Splitting the movie is a chore!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
3D requires twice the amount of space and given its already a 3 hr movie it seems likely they would have split it up given the other option would be to compress it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the files are big, but I figured the storage capabilities of BluRay could handle it.

Cant they store you to 50gigs of data?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Just picked this one up today. So if I view the 3d version I have to stop and insert another disc? That's kind of a bummer but oh well.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I know the files are big, but I figured the storage capabilities of BluRay could handle it.

Cant they store you to 50gigs of data?
Yes, 50g is correct but remember that a standard non 3D Bluray movie is just over 25gig so given this movie is much longer than a standard movie its going to be well over 50gig given its 3D

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Just purchased it on Amazon $27 3D/Blu Ray/DVD/Digital Copy!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes as inconvenient as swapping disks during a movie is, I would rather do that than have them over compress the movie and have the video quality suffer.

Of course there are people that would argue that you could stream the movie in 3D 4K and it would look fine using fewer than 10 GB... I am not one of those people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts