Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow shackers from the Dallas Tx suburbs.

I have been a moderate home theater enthusiast for a decent amount of time. I haven't DIYed much for the home theater part of my love. But I have built a TON of speakers for my former two channel audio addiction. Plus restored a few tube amp as well as built a few amps/pre amps of my own. And of course I wield the silver solder and iron to make all of my own cables.

My current Home theater system is a bit dated by todays standards. But it sounds so clean on music and (with a proper sub) movies…….I haven't been able to justify the money for upgrades to myself and especially the wife.

Anthem AVM 20-HD Processor (the AVM 20 with the HDMI and surround processor upgrade)
Anthem PVA 5 amplifier
Sonus Faber Concerto Piano main speakers
Sonus Faber Picolo Solo center channel
Sonus Faber Concertino surrounds
Wadia iTransport for Music (I got too lazy to flip through butt-loads of CD’s)
And a PS3…..that’s right….a PS3 as my video source!!! I love me some PS3!

-I told you.....older set up, but you would be hardpressed to hear a better, not louder but better clarity and tonality set up than this.

I came to the shack to build a temporary subwoofer properly. And now due to some crapola~ my DIY sub will now be my main sub! So if anyone out ther is a DFW guy, give me a shout and shoot me your ideas for subwoofers. I do pay for good ideas and help with the currency of cold beer btw.:T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Kevin, welcome to the Shack!

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Kevin, Sonus Faber makes absolutely stellar speakers. Wonderful. As does Anthem make excellent electronics. Looking at your gear, there really is nothing screaming outdated. You have HDMI so you can get the lossless codecs. So there really is no glaring hole aside from a subwoofer. I wish I lived closer to DFW or it would be great to bounce some subwoofer ideas off each other. Given the pedigree of your gear, you will have quite a task. Should be fun.
Welcome,
JJ

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome to the site, Kevin! Our DIY section is pretty extensive and will help you with your subwoofer!

Even some of the "older" systems sound just as good, if not better than some of the great offerings of today.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Kevin, good to see some more DFW guys on the board! Jon is right, the DIY section is a wealth of help and knowledge and I think you could certainly get what you need from there. I'm in Colleyville so I'm not too far from you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kevin, good to see some more DFW guys on the board! Jon is right, the DIY section is a wealth of help and knowledge and I think you could certainly get what you need from there. I'm in Colleyville so I'm not too far from you.

One of my best buds lives in Colleyville and is all of about a mile and a half from me! Odds are you are just up the street.

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome!

I am looking foward to picking peoples brains here. I have built my fair share of speakers but only one sub can be credited to my name. It seems that building a subwoofer is like playing the Saxophone.....It is the easiest instrument to play but the hardest to play well. It is easy to slap a box together and get "boom" but difficult to bring life and music from said "boom".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts