Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Now I still stand by my opinion that dual bandpass boxes are going to be bloated floppy pieces of junk. But thats probably because I worked for best buy from 1999 to 2002 which seemed to be the heigh of popularity for lousy bandpass boxes :(

Cars have such extreme cabin gain that ported may not be needed unless you want really strong bass. A sealed enclosure with a decent sub may play flat to 20hz in a car, at least that is what perliminary results of cabin gain modeling in WinISD show, tho I haven't researched it extensively yet.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ya prefab BP is pretty pointless, but modeling one up driver/use specific can have great results. I actually hated ported for years and years until I realized if I tuned lower than the norm, I was much happier. I mostly ran sealed but did a lot of 4th orders as well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, actually I was just taking a jab at Best Buy shoddy car audio. It might be interesting to try a 4th or 6th order bp someday. But if I do it'll be after I've got the other stuff I want set up and I'll just do that as an expirament to see what its like. It does seem like they would have a lot of group delay tho from having the 2 ports, maybe 4th order is better.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yeah, it's all trade offs... gain vs quality. IDK how well I detect quality anyway. I try to buy linear drivers and have more power than I need to keep the amp in line as well, and I make my boxes large and low tuned. It may still sound bad, but I don't notice if it does.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts