Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need a receiver to get 7.2 sound or does a computer exist with 7.2 sound capability?

Thanks for any help you can provide

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
A PC can provide the content but you’ll need an avr for power and processing. A simple hdmi connection is all you’ll need to go from pc to avr.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Windows audio provides 8 channels, that's 7.1 : Left, Right, Center, Sub, Rear Left, Rear Right, Side Left, Side Right.
All you need then is an 8 channels USB DAC like MiniDSP U-DAC8 (or a soundcard) and of course 8 power amps and speakers.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
HT Omega (excellent quality) - has been making improvements on an 8 channel ClARO HALO XT sound card for nearly a decade. This is an analog out duel card PCI sound-card.
I believe sound-blaster also makes an 8 channel card. Prob many more co's as well.

The only negative aspect to using PC sound-cards for HT or 2 channel music etc is the HT Omega adjustments to output freq's to minimize computer fan noise. Although i challenge anybody to identify the fan noise or compensation in the listening room sound balance.

HT OMEGA CLARO HALO XT specs

• 24-bit / 192kHz AK4396VF 120dB DAC
  • 24-bit / 192kHz AK535BVF ADC
  • TI 128dB Headphone Amplifier with user selectable high/low impedance settings
  • 5.1ch Optical / 8ch (7.1) Analog Output
  • Professional Grade RCA Connectors with included lock nuts
  • Swappable Front and Headphone Out OPAMP Socket
  • Anti-pop Protection Circuitry
  • Advanced Front Panel Audio Support with selectable automatic mute feature
  • Two 2-pin connectors for Coaxial Digital Input/Output with CA-1 cable
  • available separately
  • External MIDI Device support with CA-2 bracket available separately
The question i have now: can you take a movie recorded in Dolby Atmos run it through a 7.1/2 sound card and then back into a Dolby Atmos Pre/Pro with minimal, to no, sound degradation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts