Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are building a new home and would love some advice on how to create the best possible home theater/listening area possible in our basement family room. It will not be a dedicated theater in that it will contain a kitchenette and pool table somewhere. So while I can't wall it off completely, I do have some control over configuring the interior walls to accommodate a bit of symmetry for the surround sound. I have included a diagram of the floor plan with relative dimensions, (ceiling height being 8'). Also, I can do whatever I want with the space labeled Future Bedroom and Storage. Without blocking any windows, I feel my best options for display location are either A or B. Which do you feel would be best, or can you think of a better configuration? In any case, what channel Atmos system would you recommend for this space, and where would you place the speakers and listening position(s)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I would go for "B" simply because I do not like putting any speakers in/abutting a niche. It messes up their horizontal radiations/reflections. Also, "B" might allow 7.1 if there is a way to put the Rside/Lside speakers free-standing or on a piece of furniture placed lateral to the couch. Just a thought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was worried I may have to settle for a 5.1 configuration.

Would something like this work for 7.1 if you pulled the rear surrounds back until they hit the side walls or would they be too far away? I'm also wondering if doing this puts the primary seating position too far away from the display.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go for "B" simply because I do not like putting any speakers in/abutting a niche. It messes up their horizontal radiations/reflections. Also, "B" might allow 7.1 if there is a way to put the Rside/Lside speakers free-standing or on a piece of furniture placed lateral to the couch. Just a thought.
Which speaker(s) would be in/abutting the niche in the "A" example?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could always wall the upper right room and niche off if it helps get speakers where they need to be. Doing so definitly creates more symmetry but it still doesn't give me a back wall. Any benefit to this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's another quick mock up of how a 7.2.4 might work. Thoughts on this configuration? Again, I could wall off that upper right room to create symmetry if that helps.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Those are all "B" examples we've discussed so far which is why I was confused.
Sorry. You are correct and I should have said "B" wherever I did say "A" except in my first reply where I meant to suggest that "B" actually would be a more symmetrical site.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I'm going to throw out another thought. The thing is, is there going to be a usage conflict with home theater and family room. Do you have children/family members that might want to entertain when you want to watch a movie? Will people be walking through the family room enroute to another destination? Can you control the lighting? How many people will be using the home theater with you? Depending on your answers, "future bedroom looks to be about 11X17 which isn't bad for a home theater. OK, OK, don't yell at me guys, just a suggestion thinking outside the box.:oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitely B as it provides for future growth in screen size. I started with a 65” then 100” & now 133”.
You could easily do a 133” 2:35 screen with a Atoms setup in position B. Your first row of seatsing would be at 15’ from the screen.
You have tremendous flexibility.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely B as it provides for future growth in screen size. I started with a 65” then 100” & now 133”.
You could easily do a 133” 2:35 screen with a Atoms setup in position B. Your first row of seatsing would be at 15’ from the screen.
You have tremendous flexibility.
Trying to figure out seating and speaker position have me a little concerned for this very reason. I'm most likely going to be starting out with a flat screen but would like a projector in the future. As the screen size grows, seating and speaker positions will change as well correct? Should I pre wire for the present or plan for the future?
I'm going to throw out another thought. The thing is, is there going to be a usage conflict with home theater and family room. Do you have children/family members that might want to entertain when you want to watch a movie? Will people be walking through the family room enroute to another destination? Can you control the lighting? How many people will be using the home theater with you? Depending on your answers, "future bedroom looks to be about 11X17 which isn't bad for a home theater. OK, OK, don't yell at me guys, just a suggestion thinking outside the box.:oops:
All good points. I wanted a dedicated theater, (and we definitely have space), but my wife didn't like the idea. This is the compromise, and the potential conflicts you mentioned are just something we'll have to deal with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trying to figure out seating and speaker position have me a little concerned for this very reason. I'm most likely going to be starting out with a flat screen but would like a projector in the future. As the screen size grows, seating and speaker positions will change as well correct? Should I pre wire for the present or plan for the future?

All good points. I wanted a dedicated theater, (and we definitely have space), but my wife didn't like the idea. This is the compromise, and the potential conflicts you mentioned are just something we'll have to deal with.
Yes to both however if you have it in your budget, You could easily put a 100”...16:9 screen with a projector for under 4K & that would not require any movement of speaker positions in the future. You can get Epson projectors for 2-3k and a used one for 1000-1500. Don’t shy away from used as long as it has warranty remaining. Considering a really good 65” tv will run $2500 & up the projector setup would be very impressive. Looking back at all the setups I’ve had, the epson 1080P 3D projector on the 100” screen was the best setup for the money (currently I have a laser 4K) and that was in 2009.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes to both however if you have it in your budget, You could easily put a 100”...16:9 screen with a projector for under 4K & that would not require any movement of speaker positions in the future. You can get Epson projectors for 2-3k and a used one for 1000-1500. Don’t shy away from used as long as it has warranty remaining. Considering a really good 65” tv will run $2500 & up the projector setup would be very impressive. Looking back at all the setups I’ve had, the epson 1080P 3D projector on the 100” screen was the best setup for the money (currently I have a laser 4K) and that was in 2009.
However, don’t go cheap on sound isolation as re-doing sound isolation is basically a tear out and rebuild project.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
However, don’t go cheap on sound isolation as re-doing sound isolation is basically a tear out and rebuild project.
Something I have yet to research. If you know of a good thread or source, that would help. that is a big space, so I'm looking for the most cost effective way possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ralph is a good source of information and products 570.....489-32 92
Also.
Audiogon has a home theatre section with some dealers that advertise as well as used equipment

1 - 20 of 26 Posts