Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed these L C R 3 way speakers for a client... I only had 2 weeks to meet the deadline so forgive the lack of timeline assembly pics .... I also built 2 sub cabinets as well, so this morning is the first day I havent been covered in sawdust, wood glue and spray adhesive ... I chose MOREL / Dayton drivers based on many reviews and budget (ALL Morel drivers are 20% off this month on PE :clap: ) and came up with this 3 way WMTTMW design... The budget was $3000 and I came in just under that including drivers, wood et all....

SO having stayed up til 12 last night to finish out as my deadline for install is Friday... The initial listening test last night with my Denon receiver and a Marantz SACD player surpassed even my highest expectations.... I will post more listening review after the install on Friday ... so here they are

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Wow, great looking speakers! That center is massive looking. What size drivers are those? Guessing 8" from looking at the pics. I really wish I had that kind of talent but nice job!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are the drivers

Dayton PT2C-8 Planar tweeters
Morel EM 428 4" DPC Cone Midrange
Morel CAW 938 9" Cast Frame Woofer
JL Audio 13W3-4 subwoofers

Thanks for the compliment ... very proud as this is my first build to order :T

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks awesome, are you going to make some of those black cloth covers for them next?

Are there any special internal structures for those? Is air volume a factor behind the mids?

Idk what hit me but I've been trying to learn everything audio for months but haven't taken the time until now to even question home audio mids / highs.

Edit: What kind of crossovers did you use?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks awesome, are you going to make some of those black cloth covers for them next?

Are there any special internal structures for those? Is air volume a factor behind the mids?

Idk what hit me but I've been trying to learn everything audio for months but haven't taken the time until now to even question home audio mids / highs.

Edit: What kind of crossovers did you use?
The client likes the look so much that there are no plans for a cover at this point .. Also used as main material to cover was a nice stretch velveteen from local fabric store.. The intention was to copy the projector screen border felt.. It was a very close match and inexpensive.. $35 for enough to cover all 3 speakers...but is difficult to work with so dont say I didnt warn you...

Volume for the mids was calculated into the structure and i used poly-fill to dampen the sound a bit,,,Same with the woofers... recommended Volumes for internal structure are given on the manufactures web page...

Crossover is a Dayton 3 way @ 625 / 5k but im working on a custom xover ....

The velveteen finish turned out very well but wrapping that around the ends proved too difficult so I just capped the ends with a 3/4 and rounded off the edges....leftover black paint from the subs ....

You may have noticed that there is a toe in / front angle built in .. This is due to the length of the front wall in the Theater room which is very wide and since these are replacing the in walls LCR which are also too far apart L vs R .... They will also cover the holes left by the inwalls .. Conveniently i can use the holes to put bracing inside the walls to support the new On walls...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, great looking speakers! That center is massive looking. What size drivers are those? Guessing 8" from looking at the pics. I really wish I had that kind of talent but nice job!

Thanks... It is huge but it will fit nicely under the 133 inch screen and the Dimensions of the room are huge so it will definitely fill in better than the existing 2 way which is tiny in comparison :bigsmile:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Those are some great looking speakers and subs! Lucky client you have there, awesome work! :T What are the drivers in the subs and what's the design (tune and whatnot)? I'm not super familiar with all the variety there is out there.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are some great looking speakers and subs! Lucky client you have there, awesome work! :T What are the drivers in the subs and what's the design (tune and whatnot)? I'm not super familiar with all the variety there is out there.
The subs are JL Audio 13W3 4ohm... tuning at 30hz and driven by a new CROWN XLS 1500 Drivercore...

Funny Ive allready installed these in the media room where the new speakers are going... When a played a test tone @ 35hz all the sconce light fixtures and movie poster frames started rattling reeealy bad ... so we had to go around and gorilla glue all the glass fixtures to the metal frames and velcro all the movie poster frames to the wall :rofl:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Very nice looking speakers! They must sound so much better then the in wall speakers,just a guess. I really like the center channel,I see far to many small center channel speakers ,and it makes me sad.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So today was install day for these massive on wall speakers.... I had originally planned to sink them into the walls but after discussing that idea we dicided it would be a massive mess to cut all the drywall out and studs where necessary - specially for the center channel... They do look awsome mounted on wall if I do say so myself.. They match the screen border in texture, color and beveled profile....The client was very happy.... A hard days work made alot easier with 2 ideas.... I made a stand to hold the speakers up while I bolted them to the wall...Second was, after removing the original in walls I screwed 2x8 blocks to the inside of the drywall ... This gave me plenty of support to bolt the speakers to by removing the woofers and sinking 1/4 x 3 lag bolts through the speaker cabinet into the 2x8 blocks behind ... :D
Install went smooth and without a hitch...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very nice looking speakers! They must sound so much better then the in wall speakers,just a guess. I really like the center channel,I see far to many small center channel speakers ,and it makes me sad.
Exactly - The most important speaker in a surround sound system - So often a smaller 2 or 3 way design used to accommodate limited space or aesthetics... No compromise here :T

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also wanted to give mention to the screen and projector ...Its a SCREEN INOVATIONS 133'' in Lunar Grey which had a small defect on the original shipment but they quickly sent a new screen to replace at no charge and were very curtious....how often do we see that in the industry ??
The projector is a JVC X55 IDLA with 4k eShift technology .... It was calibrated the morning of the speaker install and looks AmAzing....the 3D is also the best Ive seen yet ...:cool:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts