Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home Theater Direct Level TWO System​
By Jim Wilson (theJman)

Inexpensive often equates to cheap, but not in this case. The Home Theater Direct Level TWO System revealed its modest pedigree in one or two areas, but those proved to be the exception and not the rule; for the most part these speakers and subwoofers fought above their weight class (so to speak). This system proved very easy to live with on a day-to-day basis. A common saying is "champagne tastes with a beer wallet", which is a person who likes finer things but simply can't afford them. HTD has you folks covered; you won't need to spend a lot to get a lot from them. Thoughtful touches and very good sound quality make it such that Home Theater Direct should be on the 'short list' of anyone looking for a high value system.

For the full review Click Here

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Thanks for the review, Jman! Just the other day, I was just recommending Home Theater Direct over Bose to a friend of mine.

The tweeter used in the Level 2 looks a lot like the driver used in several really nice sounding speakers, one of which I own and enjoy the highs of very much.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Awesome write-up Jim. I have always been intrigued by the Level TWO system. I'm currently building a pair of speakers but may have to put the build on hold due to some circumstances so these look to be a great value. Plus their good looks are appealing to my wife :T

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome write-up Jim. I have always been intrigued by the Level TWO system. I'm currently building a pair of speakers but may have to put the build on hold due to some circumstances so these look to be a great value. Plus their good looks are appealing to my wife :T
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

Have you entered the contest yet? You could possibly end up with them after all... :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
i entered the giveaway as well.ive been curious about transmission line design speakers for a long while.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Jim,
Thanks my friend for the straight forward honest review, you have that rare quality, INTEGRITY :clap:
Cheers my man, Jeffrey

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks my friend for the straight forward honest review, you have that rare quality, INTEGRITY :clap:
Jeffrey;

Thank you. I put a tremendous effort into maintaining my candor, which isn't always easy given the circumstances. Thankfully HTS affords me sufficient latitude, something that has proven very beneficial; they have never once redacted any of my reviews, not something all that common in an advertising-based industry such as this.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Nice review Jim. :clap:

I'm curious how they stack up to the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer towers and bookshelfs which are also priced along the same lines? Its good to know that you can some decent quality at such a low starting point. This makes entry into the Home Theater, a viable option for more families.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious how they stack up to the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer towers and bookshelfs which are also priced along the same lines? Its good to know that you can some decent quality at such a low starting point. This makes entry into the Home Theater, a viable option for more families.
I suspect the HTD's would surprise a lot of people, especially when you consider there cost.

Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to hear the AJ speakers myself. They do seem to get favorable reviews though, so perhaps I'll set something up in the future.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You know, I remember in the 2007-2008 time frame when I was first getting into this hobby, HTD was the "flavor of the month" for a short time, then discussion sort of died down. Back then, AV123 was the typical brand discussed when talking budget speakers.

Good to see HTD getting some press again. I actually have a set of Level Two Towers/Center on the way to demo. We'll see if I'm impressed as well.

I'll be able to compare to the Cambridge Audio S30, the new Wave Crest HVL-1, and possibly the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 (unless I have to return them before I get the HTD).

I'm sort of in audio limbo right now, seeking out a budget system I'd be happy with... After owning NHT Classic Three/Two C and Boston Acoustics VS260/325C, my bar has been raised for what I consider good audio... I'm finding it hard not to nitpick everything I listen to now...

I demo'd the AJ Pioneer towers and center for a few weeks, but ended up taking them back to Best Buy. They really are nice for the money, but I thought just a little treble forward, and a touch sibilant (at least I noticed that in the center), and any sibilance drives me nuts.

What I'm realizing though is that with most source material, when it comes to TV shows and alot of movies, sibilance is all too common, and most speakers don't do anything to hide it. At this point, I just want something that has reasonable detail/resolution without exacerbating sibilance... we'll see if the HTD can do that.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to see HTD getting some press again. I actually have a set of Level Two Towers/Center on the way to demo. We'll see if I'm impressed as well.

What I'm realizing though is that with most source material, when it comes to TV shows and alot of movies, sibilance is all too common, and most speakers don't do anything to hide it. At this point, I just want something that has reasonable detail/resolution without exacerbating sibilance... we'll see if the HTD can do that.
I didn't find the HTD speakers at all forward, so hopefully they'll work out for you. Be sure to come back and post your impressions after they've been broken in and tuned.

I'll be able to compare to the Cambridge Audio S30, the new Wavecrest HVL-1, and possibly the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 (unless I have to return them before I get the HTD).
I actually reached out to the Wavecrest folks about reviewing the HVL-1, but they were concerned that the timing wasn't right for them. Perhaps at some point in the future I'll be able to get some of those for evaluation.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll definitely post my impressions...

Jim, just curious - how do the HTD compare to the Arx speakers you reviewed?
The Arx have more detail and a bit of additional brightness, especially on the top end, whereas the HTD's have a smoother overall presentation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just ordered a pair of Level Two Towers and they should be here Friday..........Fingers crossed, thanks for the review.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on your new toys! After they've been tuned and broken in be sure to come back and post your opinion of them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a couple of quick thoughts..........The Level Two Towers came very well boxed, and are near flawless. The finish is a nice satin black paint, and the cabinet feels very substantial. The bases bolted on without issue with the supplied hardware and hex head key. They sound very smooth when compared to my outgoing Klipsch WB-14/WC-24 setup.

I found that I prefer to have no center speaker in my living room based config, and dialog sounds perfect with the LTTs next to my 60" Sammy. Audyssey XT in my Denon X2000 set the LTTs as Large, but I changed them to small/60hz and let my Power Sound Audio X15 handle the rest. I tried 80hz, but 60hz seemed more seamless.

My Klipsch WB-14/WC-24 seemed harsh at higher SPLs, where the LTTs are not.......So far, I am very impressed. I will update in a few weeks once I get some more time on them.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad they're working out for you. I found them to be pretty smooth as well. Looking forward to your next update.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I should be getting my Level Two towers, center, and bookshelves tomorrow, i will give my impressions after i get them set up, dialed in and get some run time on them.

even though I've had the Level Three bookshelves and center i am really excited to get these, especially after reading Jim's review of them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts