Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm in the process of laying out a HT room that is 18 x 13 ft.

Originally I planned to use one of the 13 ft walls for my screen but got thinking..... Would the long wall be a better chioce?

There are no windows of limitations on either wall.

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
the 13' wall is the best choice for acoustics. you want the room for the seating to be back at least 12' from the screen and with 3' of space behind them for the best sound.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I would stay with your original idea and place the screen on the 13' wall..
That way you'll have enough space behind your seats, which is most important acoustically speaking..

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
We are in agreement thats what matters:T
A wide room is just a pain to get to function properly.

EDIT: I should also add that you need to design a screen size that will accommodate your front main speakers. you dont want to push them out into the corners of the front of the room. They should be about 2' away from the side walls to avoid first reflection cancellation.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
At 18' in length, your optimal seating position will be somewhere between 10'11" and 12' from front wall to seated ear position.

With the 13' width, be very careful to not overdo the screen size to the point it's pushing your speakers too close to the side wall. At that viewing distances from above, assuming no false wall to space things out, it's going to be close for a proper screen size and you'll likely need something on the side walls directly beside the speakers to deal with the boundary interactions.

Bryan

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Wide is better for sound, but will limit the screen size and distance from the screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts