Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Home theater living room revamp "new pics on page 3"

New pics on page 3

I currently have a 65" rear projection 1080p dlp tv. With a Bose lifestyles 28 for sound and a base model velodyne 10 for a little extra kick. I have an HTPC, blu ray/hd dvd player , and fios hd cable box. I'll be keeping the source components and replacing the tv with an epson powerlite 8100 projector and seymourav 110" 16:9 AT screen. Viewing distance will be 10 ft. A little big for some but i think itll be just right. Befor i settled on size i moved my couch closer and closer to the tv untill it was too much. Then did the math and got 110". The Bose will be replaced by an onkyo tx sr608, wharfedale zaldek speakers, and an avalanche 18" LLT powered by a behringer ep2500. I have already purchased all the components listed. And I'm now finishing my build plan. I'll be building a false wall 2' in front of an existing wall with a fireplace that doesn't work. Here's a sketch of what it looks like.

And speaker placement

I am waiting on bids from some local cabinet makers. That is really the only thing holding me up right now. The room will painted with all flat paint. Black on the screen wall and maybe the first couple feet of ceiling. The side walls will be a medium grey and the cieling and back wall will be light grey. I have a large window on one side wall. I ordered wood blinds for it to cut light, and it will also get some form of dark curtains. Since the blinds and trim around the window are white. I have a skylight that is getting a cellular blackout shade in the back of the room, and the front door has glass in the top that will get dark window tint. I have a sub build thread going in the diy ported subwoofer forum. Right now it looks like I'll be running a slot port llt of around 20 cu ft. The screen will be diy. I'm not sure how it will be mounted. I bought some poplar 1x4 to build a frame that will be wrapped in velvet. But I haven't decided how to attach the screen to the frame. I'm thinking about trying industrial Velcro. I'm also wondering what to put the speakers on. I don't think they should sit on top of the sub. So I'm thinking I'll build some kind of shelf that runs across just above the sub for them to sit on. I'll have a tower at each side of the screen angled inwards. And the center sitting ear level firing dead center.

Here's a rough sketch of the floor plan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me know if you have any ideas to make it better, or things that you might do differently. I know alot of you guys have gone through this before, and learned from your own mistakes. This will be used primarily for movies and hd tv. And secondly for surfing the Internet and gaming. Last would be music. Which is why I'm going with an llt tuned to 15 hz. So I can rattle the windows. The first movie I'm watching with the sub is master commander.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The more open you can make those cabinets on the sides, tops and bottoms, the fewer acoustic issues you'll have from resonances.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Looks fantastic, Do you plan on adding surrounds?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more open you can make those cabinets on the sides, tops and bottoms, the fewer acoustic issues you'll have from resonances.

Bryan
I don't understand what you mean. the cabinets will be closed. and run from floor to ceiling.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks fantastic, Do you plan on adding surrounds?
it'll be 5.1. I'm not sure where the surrounds are gonna go. I have another set of surrounds as well, if I decide to do 7.1 later. I have stands, I'll move them around the room untill I like how they sound. And then I'll hide wires once I'm happy with placement.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the bid back from o e cabinet shop. $970 for the two cabinets and $255 for the five sheets of mdf cutto size for my sub box.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Any chance of making some of the 90 degree angles in the room disappear?

Specifically the wall near the skylight. What I mean by disappear is to somehow change its shape by adding something that would not reflect the sound directly back at the wall with the screen. Probably a pain, but it might be worth the effort.

Hopefully people with more HT building experience will chime in and say whether it makes sense.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
I don't understand what you mean. the cabinets will be closed. and run from floor to ceiling.
Sorry. Not sure how I missed this one.

My point was that if you DON'T make them solid so they're just more frames and have openings with cloth inlays, you wont' cause a lot of problems from speaker/cabinet interactions.

Bryan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any chance of making some of the 90 degree angles in the room disappear?

Specifically the wall near the skylight. What I mean by disappear is to somehow change its shape by adding something that would not reflect the sound directly back at the wall with the screen. Probably a pain, but it might be worth the effort.

Hopefully people with more HT building experience will chime in and say whether it makes sense.

Paul
That's definitely not gonna happen. It still needs to be a living room. I might put a couple acoustic panels on the back wall. We'll see how it sounds when it's all setup.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry. Not sure how I missed this one.

My point was that if you DON'T make them solid so they're just more frames and have openings with cloth inlays, you wont' cause a lot of problems from speaker/cabinet interactions.

Bryan
I'm set on having the storage. So the cabinets are happening. I could line the inside of the area behind the screen with acoustic panels?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For sound absorption, I plan on putting in a large rug that will cover almost the whole floor from screen wall to the couch(i have hard wood floors), curtains that will hang in front of the window(I'm not sure what fabric), Some sort of acoustic panels behind the screen with the front and center channels. Does that sound like it'll be enough? In know it depends on the room, but I want to plan as much of this as possible now.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
I'm not saying to not have the cabinets at all. All I'm saying is that if you have a way for sound to travel in and out of them (cloth sides) instead of making the sides rigid, you'll cause less problems and still have your storage.

Bryan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not saying to not have the cabinets at all. All I'm saying is that if you have a way for sound to travel in and out of them (cloth sides) instead of making the sides rigid, you'll cause less problems and still have your storage.

Bryan
That sounds complicated. Especially for ventilation for the component stack, and blocking the noise and light from the components. Not to mention, less sturdy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I exchanged the epson 8100 for the new epson 8350. I fired it up in my spare bedroom on a textured wall and it looks fantastic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts