Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
601 Posts
Bob,

Why primarily do you rate the 906 as better than the 1007 and 3007?

Mark
Well, I read a lot about the new owners of these newer models, and they seem to have some issues with Onkyo right now. There is a "Click" issue (audio modes relay switching), but I now know how to resolve it, so it is moot for me; but for many people not aware of the solution, it is indeed a disappointing issue.

And the Network features are more or less a moving target. Onkyo seems to not aknowledge any issues in their receivers right now. That all business firmware updates is getting more an headache as days are going by.

Also, I noticed that the 1007, 3007 and 5007 have changed their output transistors for only one per channel, but much bigger one too, vs two per channel in the previous models, smaller ones though, but of good reputation. Now I'm not sure it makes a big difference, but I think it does save Onkyo some $.

And the 1007 has only one transformer, an EI core. The 3007 has two additional transformers for the audio and video sections, but the main transformer is still an EI core.
The 906 has a main Toroidal transformer, plus the two additional ones. And all the connectors (rear & front) are gold plated, which in my book is a highly desirable feature, as they will not oxide.
Also the 906 has much sturdier speaker's binding posts, another desirable feature with true benefit.
The only receiver that can compete with the 906 is its replacement, the 5007. But it will cost you though.
Remember, performance & value ratio will determine the overall winner, for me anyway.
As of now, in the USA, the 906 is about $600 cheaper that the 5007, at their very best street prices. Make your choice...

And from what I also know, there is a slight difference in sound between the 905, 906 and 5007.
But to tell this differrence, you do need some high resolution speakers.
The 905 is sweet sounding in the highs in general. The 906 is more open in this area, more analytic sounding, and more reveling too, which many people prefer. The 5007 is perhaps more reminescent of the 905, but still with great intelligibility. You know Mark, after all, it's only a question of preference, but also value. And for me the 906 is a better value with great sound quality. The 5007 is the newer model with Audyssey DSX, PLIIz, Dolby Volume, nine power amplifiers, two subwoofer outputs, and also cost quite a bit more money. If these added features are important to you, and are worth the extra financial cost, then it's your own choice.

That's why my personal preference is for the Onkyo TX-NR906, considering the cost, the performance, and the features I am content with.

* Ask Sonnie about his TX-NR906, which he got for a very good price.

Thinking further about this; do you remember the 70's, when a receiver was a 2-channel stereo amp/preamp with a tuner in it?
Look now; nine power amps! :eek: Network features for streaming the world into your living hell, oups!, I mean living room; pretty soon you won't have a life anymore with all these speakers taking over and the stock market taking over your home receiver, your display theater, and in your own home theater room! :eek: I mean this is not an audio/video hobby anymore, it is a complex headache that require computer expertise and a lot of appointments to your doctor. And those prescriptions for the stress ain't free, right?

There is a philosophy that still works for me; keep it simple.
Things are getting way too complex now. I'll say time to take a serious break.
I don't really need more that what the 906 has to offer. Do you?
...Well, perhaps later on... :bigsmile:

Cheers,
Bob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bob,

All excellent points, with some real pearls of wisdom.

Thanks for that. I am driving past a retailer today that is running out a 876, not sure of the price. I will consider that as well but I agree the 906 is the best value for money.

Mark

·
Banned
601 Posts
Bob,

All excellent points, with some real pearls of wisdom.

Thanks for that. I am driving past a retailer today that is running out a 876, not sure of the price. I will consider that as well but I agree the 906 is the best value for money.

Mark
Hey Mark, I just re-edited my previous post. I added some more important details; perhaps you should have a double look.

And happy shopping. :T

Bob

P.S. By the way, you did not mentioned your speaker's model #'s, neither your room's size.
Guess you don't need that external Emotiva amp after all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bob,

Room is 6 metres by 9 metres (Reasonably Big and Open) But stereo is set up on one half of the room 6*4.5 metres.

The Polk's are RTiA9's front, CSiA6 centre and FXiA6 rears.

Thanks for your help on this.

Mark

·
Banned
601 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. This is quite a large room, and it don't matter that your system is set up on one half of the room (mine is set up similarly). You still need to fill that entire space, for the sound to engulf you effectively.

My take: A receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR876 or TX-NR906 or TX-NR1007/3007/5007, is a great candidate for that type of room. And if you intend to listen at reverence level (which is very loud), I would recommend adding or a second subwoofer (by the way you did not mention which sub(s) you are using), or the Emotiva XPA-3 (or XPA-2 for your two huge front main speakers; and your center speaker is a very decent size too).

* Sonnie is one of the main guy here at the Shack (he's the Owner, a Shack Hillbilly). Just PM him, his avatar is an ever-changing old pictures of Pink Floyd's band. He's a Pink Floyd addict, just like me. :T He'll tell you more about his 906, mated with two Emotiva XPA-1 mono power amps, than I.

He is on the first post of this interesting thread about Audyssey:
@ http://www.hometheatershack.com/for.../10807-audyssey-multeq-discussion-thread.html

-> Just click on the small PM logo in the bottom left part from his name, avatar and few added info.

Bob

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.