Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am currently building a new house in which I have factored in a theatre room (forgive me, I am Australian so we measure in meters) 6m long x 4.5m wide. I would like to run two rows of seating if possible, just not sure if the room would be sizeable for that. I have just purchased a Yamaha aventage rxa2020 receiver, and a 5.1 paradigm reference speaker pack, studio 60 mains, cc590 centre, adp590 rears and seismic 110 subwoofer. I was told by the store that this is pretty good stuff and was made in Canada, I'm not sure as I just take the shops advise. Getting back to my question, I read a lot in this app of people running 7.1/7.2, is this something I should be doing or is that just overkill for the size room I have. Thanks guys your opinions would be extremely helpful.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
6m would be OK. It's a bit tight but doable.

No reason you can't do 7.1 or 7.2 in that room at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey guys, I am currently building a new house in which I have factored in a theatre room (forgive me, I am Australian so we measure in meters) 6m long x 4.5m wide. I would like to run two rows of seating if possible, just not sure if the room would be sizeable for that. I have just purchased a Yamaha aventage rxa2020 receiver, and a 5.1 paradigm reference speaker pack, studio 60 mains, cc590 centre, adp590 rears and seismic 110 subwoofer. I was told by the store that this is pretty good stuff and was made in Canada, I'm not sure as I just take the shops advise. Getting back to my question, I read a lot in this app of people running 7.1/7.2, is this something I should be doing or is that just overkill for the size room I have. Thanks guys your opinions would be extremely helpful.
G'day. Aussie here too. I think setting up for 7.1 would be a good idea. I did and my room is only 2.7 wide and 5.0 long. Running 5.1 but prewired.
As for seating. If I can fit 2 rows I am sure u can too. Have placed back row 500mm off back wall and the back of front row is 2.9m from screen. I am using a 110" screen and the front row is great to watch from. Sing out if u need any local advice. I am in Victoria. Cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G'day. Aussie here too. I think setting up for 7.1 would be a good idea. I did and my room is only 2.7 wide and 5.0 long. Running 5.1 but prewired. As for seating. If I can fit 2 rows I am sure u can too. Have placed back row 500mm off back wall and the back of front row is 2.9m from screen. I am using a 110" screen and the front row is great to watch from. Sing out if u need any local advice. I am in Victoria. Cheers
thanks chief, yeah I'm a Vic boy too hahaha pakenham

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
image-4099335186.jpg

Hey guys, plans and permits have been accepted start the build in two weeks, getting excited, thought I would start the thread and get you guys involved as I build my dream room

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I get the feeling Dolby Atmos will be with us for a while. You might consider wiring for the ceiling speakers while you at it. Would be cheap during construction. Then add speakers later if you want. I'm really liking the 7.1.4 set up personally.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get the feeling Dolby Atmos will be with us for a while. You might consider wiring for the ceiling speakers while you at it. Would be cheap during construction. Then add speakers later if you want. I'm really liking the 7.1.4 set up personally.
yeah, I get the feeling it's going to take off hey, I haven't had the chance to hear it yet though, but from what I have seen on youtube, it's going to be good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, just finished the design of the room, what do you think,
The colours are just to help pic out the details, and not what it will be painted in hahaha

Red: curtain pelmet recess around the ceiling perimeter.
Light grey: floating bulkhead with strip lighting.
Purple: flat coffered ceiling with fibre optics in the middle, to give the illusion off looking at the night sky through skylights.
Yellow: feature columns that will be lined in stacked stone.
Dark green: raised seating for back row.
Light green: front sound stage.
Blue: curved step at front of sound stage.

Attachments

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Biggest issue I see is the doors right in the reflection zone (and double doors on top of it which are going to be pretty much impossible to deal with if you want to have isolation. A single door back as far as you can would be preferable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Biggest issue I see is the doors right in the reflection zone (and double doors on top of it which are going to be pretty much impossible to deal with if you want to have isolation. A single door back as far as you can would be preferable.
yeah that is true, but the wife wouldn't let me as it backs onto the main family room, I'm hoping by running curtain around the perimeter it will help as it will run straight across the door once inside the room. I don't know what to do there?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Please don't. That will suck all the high frequency life out of the space and deal with only a small portion of the reflection zone. See if putting panels on the doors will fly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please don't. That will suck all the high frequency life out of the space and deal with only a small portion of the reflection zone. See if putting panels on the doors will fly.
so I take it that curtains are no good for theatre rooms then hahaha, back to the drawing board?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Front wall to cover thicker absorption it would be fine. But to do a big chunk of the walls in that, and without anything behind it on top of it, not really a good idea - sorry.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Front wall to cover thicker absorption it would be fine. But to do a big chunk of the walls in that, and without anything behind it on top of it, not really a good idea - sorry.
na that's fine mate, that's why I'm on hear, to get advise from people that know.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well guys I'm finally getting to plaster stage on my new build, looking forward to starting on the main room (the cinema) I'll post some pics so I grab ideas along the way, all advice is appreciated

1 - 20 of 27 Posts