Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advatge to this ???? I have HDMI graphics card hooked to tv... from computer.. Sound is hooked in stereo now ... Is this worth the trouble ???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I think so,... I've had my computer set-up hooked into 5.1 for years, I love it. Well worth the trouble. Can't quite see what you have going there, but I don't think that will give you 5.1? Going from memory,... seems like the Sound Cards' outputs are:
Blue = Line in
Green = Front speaker out
Pink = Mic in
Orange = Center/Sub speaker out
Black = Rear speaker out
Grey = Side speaker out

A little more info and we could better help you.
Are you looking to get 5.1 or ???
What sound card and receiver are you using?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oN my sound card I can switch the outputs to make the green the L&R Fornts , Then the blue RL & RR, the pink can be used for sub or front channel.. You use it thru the programing on the built in audio card..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great .. Thanks wayne.. Thats what it is .. It is a 5.1 input on the reciever... This will work great .. I mainly use the computer on my big screen for watching blu ray and also Net flix.. I also have been known to watch a ton of youtube videos when bored.. I built my computer about 6 months ago .. I got all my parts from tiger direct and ebay.. It has a 512 graphics card with hdmi out , it has a 5.1 surround sound blaster , (2) 1 TB hard drives .. right now it is running xp MCE .. It has a duo core proccessor 2.4 gig, and right now 4 gigs of DDR2 ram.. I am waiting until I get my entertainment center built ( Probably 1X12 shelfs ) before I install the computer in the cabinet... Once again thanks for the help

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you all hook up your different compnents do you use the TV inputs for the video and just tje audio on the A/V Reciever or everything thru the A/V Reciever and run to one input on the TV.. I was just wonderering because MY VSX-516 has compnenets but no HDMI so I have to use the HDMI port on my TV to hook to the output on my HDMI switcher. I was told that components will only produce 720i.... and to get tru 1080i you have to use HDMI so thats why I have it hooked to the tv this way... One day maybe I will get a new A/V Reciever.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Have you considered using coax S/PDIF or optical Toslink digital audio connection from your soundcard to the AVR? Less chance of hum pickup and a more sure way of getting 5.1 audio input.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats an idea I spent alot on the motherboard and such so I will probably upgrade and get a better sound card here in the near future

·
Registered
115 Posts
depending on your motherboard you may be able to get toslink out right off the board via an add on

for example
on my media center pc i used an epox mother board, i was running into issues getting audio out of the machine and for like $5 there was an add on card from epox that let me get toslink out directly of the mother board (it wasn't a pci card or anything like that, it was a card that had a 7ish pin connection right of the mb via some jumpers)

may be worth a try

1 - 9 of 9 Posts