Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used cheap speakers with my computers and never though about hooking them up to my sound system, i have my tv and components hooked up to it through an optical cable, so that port is taken and theres no 3.5mm jack on the receiver. Just coax left. Both of my computers have the 3.5mm jack for audio out. How can i do this?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
monoprice, you just need a 3.5/RCA cable to split the signal in between your two computers.. I'd run a short RCA y-cable at the sony for each of the right and left inputs, and then run a longer 3.5mm male to 2x RCA male to your Y cables.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I do NOT recommend hooking the outputs of 2 computers together, they will fight each other.
You would need to switch between the 2 of them or combine them through a mixer.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
What do you mean by "fight each other"? I've never tried this setup, but by my estimation, as long as your only running sound from one at a time, you should be fine. Are there impedance problems running two split inputs?

If that's the case, then yes, a simple RCA splitter would do the trick.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What do you mean by "fight each other"?
If computer #1 is trying to drive the audio line to a Positive voltage
and computer #2 is trying to make the audio line a Negative voltage
then computer #1 will be Sinking all of it's output into computer #2 and stressing the output components in both computers, thus Fighting each other.

It is not advisable to connect together the audio outputs from 2 different computers, or any amplifiers for that matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.