Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making my own home theater.

I have 2 100w speakers and 2 120w speakers hooked up to a 190w receiver.

I just got 2 more 100w speakers.

I have a 100w stereo available

Would I be able to hook up all 6 of the speakers to the 190w receiver? or should I just hook up the other 2 100w speakers to my stereo (and leave the 4 speakers hooked up to the receiver?)

(dont know too much about speakers)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Welcome to the Shack.
Should be able to, depends on what receiver you have. If you can give us some more detailed info like brands and model numbers we'll be able to help you with specifics.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Not sure what kind of receiver you have. You will need at least a 5 channel receiver to cover the basics (the receiver should have at least 5 places to hook up the speakers to). With HT, the movie's soundtrack is broken up into different channels. The AVR sends these to the corresponding speaker automatically. So it really depends on the receiver you have as to how to proceed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It would probably be useful to know how you have your 4 speakers connected to the AVR. Are two used for the Left/Right channels and two others as surrounds? You should really have a center channel speaker, since most dialog comes through this speaker. I remember one day watching TV and not being able to hear anything the sportscaster was saying, just the crowd noise and background. Checked the center channel and found a loose connection. Most AVRs have a least five channels and a connection for a sub-woofer. The speaker outputs are usually marked: Right, Left, Center, Right Surround, Left Surround and sub-woofer. Seven channel AVRs add Back Left surround and Back Right Surround.

Also if your AVR has pre-outs you can connect the outputs to amplifiers:blink:.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I am making my own home theater.
I have 2 100w speakers and 2 120w speakers hooked up to a 190w receiver.
I just got 2 more 100w speakers.
I have a 100w stereo available
Would I be able to hook up all 6 of the speakers to the 190w receiver? or should I just hook up the other 2 100w speakers to my stereo (and leave the 4 speakers hooked up to the receiver?)
(dont know too much about speakers)
Welcome to the forum.
Telling us the brand and model number of each piece of equipment you have will be a big help when trying to answer your questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts