Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't quite understand what component should be hooked to my router with an ethernet cable.
I have a directv dvr with an ethernet port. I also have a 3d blue ray player with a ethernet port
And last but not least a 65" 3d tv with an ethernet port.
I don't need to connect all of these components do?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
That really depends on what you want to do. Are you planning on subscribing to additional services such as Netflix, VuDu, etc? If that is the case I would say connect the one that supports the majority of those services. The DirecTVprobably needs the ethernet for better streaming content and Bluray player will occasionally benefit from a firmware update that is accessible over the internet. my suggestion is to go to the local electronics store and buy a $50 ethernet switch and three more ethernet cables. If you are not in a hurry then you can find cables and a switch on monoprice.com or Altex.com for less than $50.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one 50' ethernet cable running from my router upstairs to my direct tv receiver downstairs.
If I buy a switch, I just plug that cable into any port on the switch and then plug in my smart dvd player and smart tv into the switch also?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have one 50' ethernet cable running from my router upstairs to my direct tv receiver downstairs.
If I buy a switch, I just plug that cable into any port on the switch and then plug in my smart dvd player and smart tv into the switch also?
As long as the switch supports "Auto-MDX" (or auto-crossover), most these days do, then yes. Otherwise you need a special cable: a cross-over cable (readily available and monoprice and elsewhere) to connect two switches together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.