Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up my screen build project with Wilsonart FG coupled with a PT-AX200U. Fired up the pj and am very pleased with the picture. I did notice when the pj is throwing a blue screen,when the DVD player is off, there is a bright spot thats directly in line with the lens. It's funny because when I read about hot spotting most refer to it being in the middle of the screen. The hot spotting I see is on the right side of the screen, I guess this is due to the lens position in relation to the box it's in, but it's not noticeable during movie watching. Is this a concern? The spot is not overbearing but should there be no spot at all? Should a blue screen be consistently blue with no bright spot or is a faint spot acceptable?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Does it follow you around the room as you move from side to side? If it does it's hot spotting. First, have you calibrated brightness and contrast? If so then you may need a coating. The recommended coating in the past was always Behr 78o Clear Matte Poly. We've delved a bit deeper since then and you may want to look at the Study of Clears part 2.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Hi Strong and Mech!

I'm seizing the opportunity to say hello through this thread :wave:
If the screen is correctly built and projector basically calibrated, it might then be the projector itself. It is sometimes possible to have some brightness and color non-uniformity which might lead to this. But you should not give it too much importance if the variation is slight and as far as it is not noticeable with program material....no worries (who watches tests patterns?:bigsmile:)

Have a nice time

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I also have a question about hot-spotting. On [another forum] (they won't let HTS be mentioned there, so I'll return the favor here. I don't mean this in a mean-spirited way, just maintaining parity :)) they are saying the real test to see if a paint mix hot-spots or not requires a screen 100 inches or more in size (I assume this is the diagonal measurement). I have asked for a reason for this and didn't get a reply.

It seems to me that a smaller screen would be more liable to hot-spot since it would be closer to the PJ and thus be getting a brighter image and one more in-line with the viewer. :dontknow:

Can someone 'splain this to me?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I also have a question about hot-spotting. On [another forum] (they won't let HTS be mentioned there, so I'll return the favor here. I don't mean this in a mean-spirited way, just maintaining parity :)) they are saying the real test to see if a paint mix hot-spots or not requires a screen 100 inches or more in size (I assume this is the diagonal measurement). I have asked for a reason for this and didn't get a reply.

It seems to me that a smaller screen would be more liable to hot-spot since it would be closer to the PJ and thus be getting a brighter image and one more in-line with the viewer. :dontknow:

Can someone 'splain this to me?
Yet another example of avs... :rofl:

"Standards?!?!?! Who needs standards?!?!?!?! We make them up as we go!" Sorry ANSI, ISF, CEDIA, not to mention all of the real color scientists in the world, etc. You're all out of a job!! :rofl:

Harp - if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times, just stay away! It does a body and brain good! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Need 100" or more to see hot spotting huh?

Wherever you heard that, it sounds like some of the circus clowns have taken over the show.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts