Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey. need some help sorting out my diy screen issues. ive spent countless hours reading about all the options since i ordered my projector in dec. its an epson 1760w. i primed then painted a 97x48" hardboard with sherwin williams proclassic satin in unique gray. the best roller i could find was a 3/16" and i ended up with some "orange peel" texture, i used about 1/2 a quart of the swpc but one coat coved very well. i didnt do a second coat yet because im hoping to find a way to get a smoother finish (i now have a hvlp paint gun) anyway when i first tried it out the projector it was just on a low table about 100" back and i had it angled up quite a bit, i was impressed and quite sure no hot spot. i now have the pj ceiling mounted at the same distance but the angle is straight on. now im getting a large hotspot which moves with viewing position, its mostly visible in lighter colors but especially annoying with the bumpy texture, otherwise im very happy with the brightness/color/contrast (running eco mode). where did i go wrong? hoping for some helpful input so i dont make anymore mistakes.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
What I have been reading of late about rolling SW ProClassic series B20 in satin finish is that a 1/4" roller should be used as it will put on more paint than a shorter nap roller. This is desirable with this paint since it must have some thickness for it to flow out to a smooth finish. If you are seeing the texture of your screen you should sand the surface until it is smooth and then roll on another coat with the longer nap roller making sure not to overwork the paint or put it on in too thin a layer. You could also try using your HVLP sprayer, but this alone will not guarantee you a smooth finish since putting down paint with a spray gun usually results in a thinner coat that will not level as well as a rolled coat depending on the paint used.

Others have said that SW ProClassic B20 in 'Unique Gray' hot spotted for them as well. This could be due to variances in gloss levels from one batch of paint to the next (a SW quality control issue) or it could be an issue of your particular viewer/projector geometry and after ceiling mounting your PJ you are now seeing the most reflected light from the PJ (like a ball bouncing off a pool table cushion).

If anything, spraying your next coat of paint on could actually decrease the gloss of the paint a bit if you use light coats and apply those layers so they appear to be fine "freckles" of paint that don't form a solid sheet of paint like a roller does. Apply about 4 coats this way. This technique produces a very fine "micro-texture" for lack of a better term. It should be much less noticeable than "orange peel" from a roller. If spraying, I would thin the paint about 25% with distilled water so it atomizes better. If this is the first time you have sprayed with this gun I would highly suggest practicing spraying something other than your screen until you learn how that gun puts down paint. You can use whatever latex paint you have around instead of the expensive SW ProClassic for this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts