Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says... wasnt sure where to post this question... seems to be the most suited place to do so...

anyways when i turn on my crown xti2000, my room light dims for a second or 2, also when 50-60hz bass plays loud. I guess im pulling too much current? i know little about electric and it doesnt bother me much but would really like to fix it if possible...

if I change the wall outlet with this one:
http://www.psaudio.com/shop/power-port-premier/

would it solve the issue? or the problem is beyond the wall socket?

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
As the title says... wasnt sure where to post this question... seems to be the most suited place to do so...

anyways when i turn on my crown xti2000, my room light dims for a second or 2, also when 50-60hz bass plays loud. I guess im pulling too much current? i know little about electric and it doesnt bother me much but would really like to fix it if possible...

if I change the wall outlet with this one:
http://www.psaudio.com/shop/power-port-premier/

would it solve the issue? or the problem is beyond the wall socket?
No, it will not do anything for you.
Since you asked the question the way you did the issue is not something you can fix yourself.
Call a well established licensed electrician that is a member of the BBB and the local Chamber of Commerce.
Have them evaluate what you need for electrical service to the home and to your equipment location.
If they want to do more than add a circuit breaker to the existing box and run new wires to a new outlet where you have your gear get a second evaluation and bid from another licensed electrician.
This will cost $$ to $$$ depending on what is needed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not an electrician by trade, but I think the issue is beyond the outlet. Does the light have a dimmer on it?
ya there is a dimmer on the room light switch

No, it will not do anything for you.
Since you asked the question the way you did the issue is not something you can fix yourself.
Call a well established licensed electrician that is a member of the BBB and the local Chamber of Commerce.
Have them evaluate what you need for electrical service to the home and to your equipment location.
If they want to do more than add a circuit breaker to the existing box and run new wires to a new outlet where you have your gear get a second evaluation and bid from another licensed electrician.
This will cost $$ to $$$ depending on what is needed.
I wouldnt go this far just for that, hehe!! it was just out of curiosity as to why it happens and what is the weaklink in general when that happens?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
Definitely save your money. No outlet upgrade will make the difference you are looking for.

The only changes that might help:
  • Re-wire your house.
  • Install a nuclear power pack.
  • Get a bigger power amp. Not knocking Crown, I LOVE their products.
Actually, a bigger power amp might improve the problem when you hit that big bass note, but the power-on surge might get worse.

What are you driving with that thing, anyway?:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Is the amp on a dedicated circuit or are there other things running on the same circuit? If you can isolate the amp to run on it's own line then it should solve the problem. I know that is sometimes impossible and if it is then like said you will need an electrician.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
In some situations this can be caused by loose connections at the breaker panel. Have an electrition check those connections as well as possibly the connections at the plugins.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my lights dimming when I crank things up. I am also getting an outlet put in for a projector this week so while he's here I'm going to have him run a dedicated 20 amp line with 115 circuit outlet. I'll have the dedicated line and circuit and will run my seatons off of it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my lights dimming when I crank things up. I am also getting an outlet put in for a projector this week so while he's here I'm going to have him run a dedicated 20 amp line with 115 circuit outlet. I'll have the dedicated line and circuit and will run my seatons off of it.
I use to have the same problem that is why I mentioned it in my previous post but I ran a heavy duty extension from my back room to my amps and it worked fine. I was able to hide the cord so it wasn't a cosmetic problem for me so that was nice.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I do not suggest putting the amp on its own circuit unless you have a real p-ower hog. Run a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the entire system and keep the whole AV system on its own circuit without any other devices. The problem is the wiring to the circuit is too light and/or too many other things running simultaneously or something aged or defective in the circuit like oxidized connections, a bad breaker, or other bad connections.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I do not suggest putting the amp on its own circuit unless you have a real p-ower hog. Run a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the entire system and keep the whole AV system on its own circuit without any other devices. The problem is the wiring to the circuit is too light and/or too many other things running simultaneously or something aged or defective in the circuit like oxidized connections, a bad breaker, or other bad connections.
I think this point should be well taken. With an up to par circuit, you shouldn't be seeing lights dim!! It's either something affecting the dimmer on the light circuit, or you need to have a qualified electrician take a look at your electrical feed. The FCC used to park in truck stops and catch truckers using illegal linear amps for their CBs when their headlights would dim, but that doesn't apply to a correctly functioning house circuit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I fully agree with the above, exactly what I have done.

@ SQBubble

I don't know what the wiring regulations are for your area but here lighting runs off separate circuits to the main power ring main. It almost sounds as though the amp is running off the lighting circuit (or the same circuit) which is not rated for that kind of load. In which case this could be kinda risky, overloads can cause overheating in circuits and in the worst case is a fire risk.

My advice, get it checked out by a qualified electrician as soon as possible, you have a problem here that has the potential to turn serious

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow okay!! well its been like that for a good 5-6years... lol, i mean i almost never turn it loud like i did so that the lights keeps dimming lol, it was just a one time thing.. if i keep it at moderate level like i always do, it shouldnt be a problem no? happens just with the subs too, and its at 2ohm on each channel iirc if that makes a difference?

always i remember when i had my 18" subwoofer i dindt had this dimming when music playing loud, but that was probably because i dindt need to push the amplifier too much for the same level of volume...

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you run it at a lower level so the lights don't dim, it won't make the fire burn cooler. Get it checked out!

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
icaillo (Leonard) is very much the expert in these matters, do what he says.

Lights dimming slightly and briefly from a turn-on current inrush for a piece of equipment with a big power supply is not terribly unusual in my experience. Lights dimming at all from normal operating currents, even if pushing the volume, does not sound OK to me, that might be worth getting checked out.

Definitely follow Leonard's lead on this one.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Well, I appreciate the confidence, Wayne, but I am no electrician. I would defer to a professional on that. Just giving my experience after many hundreds of installations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my opinion, having your AV system on its own circuit would be great!!
It would, likely, resolve your problem. However, running a HR (home run) circuit to a chosen room can be a great hassle (even for someone in the trade).
The dimming of other (in line) circuits is not at all uncommon. Houses are roped (wired) fast and cheaply; Many times rooms (lights and all) are wired in together on a single HR (circuit breaker).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts