Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

201 - 220 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
It looks like Wayne needs a couple of months and Mark is veneering & I'm not quite sure if he is done. I just got confirmation from FedEx my Oppo 83 will be here tomorrow. That gives me Saturday to set up and organize, so I could host again on Sunday......perhaps about 1:00.

Last time I didn't have any brewskies, but you could bring your own if you want to. (I don't drink anymore and forgot about those that do...no problem.....)

Ok....I just dropped my name in the hat....

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: I need a head count for the goodies......

Ray,

I expect my BDP-83 OPPO delivery tomorrow at the end of the day. I'll snatch up some real good BluRay disks early tomorrow and still have some great DVDs. I'm taking the day off so I'll have time to start to get ready. Everyone that's coming over, please let me know by tomorrow's end.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm in.

Mike I remember the main road, but not certain if I remember which road to turn on. PM me plz with your addy. Also, let me know what you'd like me to bring.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well the Oppo is in and I spent my mortgage payment on some good BluRay disks. Here's the line up:

The Dark Night
The Transporter
Spider-Man 3
U-571 (Depth charges...wooooo)
Box set of the complete BBC Earth video collection
6 BluRay disks for 770 minute run time.

I still have a lot of great music and demo DVDs that the Oppo should handle very well.

So far we have two members from our Houston DIY and a couple of audio sales folks may be here to listen.

I'll set up in the a.m. and tweak and am still taking a head count for other members who may want to come on Sunday at 1:00.

Please let me know by 3:00 tomorrow for those on the fence so we can get grub & drinks. :huh:

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I'll try my best to be there, but I won't get out of church until 12:15 (Galleria area). If you guys are sticking around for a little while, I would try to stop by a little after 2pm. I may also bring a friend who lives in Clearlake and build a nice pair of 2ch speakers based on HiVi drivers -- a new Club member I think. Sound like a good time.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No problem Mark. Looking forward to seeing you again and introducing the new member to the group. No set time to shut down. I have to be at work at 8:00 on Monday, so we've got a lot of hours we can visit!

·
Registered
565 Posts
The BDP-83 OPPO is in, setup, and awesome! :yay:

I've been waiting a year for the new chips to come out and Oppo did it right! Features are outstanding and the audio and video are superb.

Tony, thanx for the compliments on the Audience speakers. They are set up on the "B" switch so you guys can hear an incredible sounding speaker with 4 teeny tiny drivers that almost outdo my big mains.....

We're ready to go Houston! 1:00 and I'll have the Soundsplinter signs out and the gates open.

We've got some goodies and soft drinks but BYOB if you want to bring a six pack of brew~~~

See you guys tomorrow! :clap:

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mike

I have a chance to work some overtime Sunday. I think I will take a rain check. Dont get overtime very often......I will however come over another time......

Ray
Sorry you couldn't make it. I was looking forward to meeting you and hearing more about your equipment.
Take the work when you can though.

Thanks Mike.....:bigsmile:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: What a crowd!

For all of you who missed the meeting, you missed a good BluRay movie, "The Dark Knight" with Bruce Wayne and the Joker. The Oppo BDP 83 really performed for everyone, Tony & myself!

I wish more of you could have made it but we had a great time anyway.

I'm looking forward to other meetings in the future to see other projects.

Thanks.....Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
There hasn't been a post in our thread since August when Tony came over and we watched a movie with some new equipment upgrades. (Except the post about my subwoofers for sale)

I hope everyone is doing ok. The economy has taken a big hit on our two jobs and I bet a few of you with projects planned may have got stalled. I sold my other two stacked subs and amps which helped pay for most of this project.

Well, it seems I always have to build a new speaker or add new equipment to get the thread moving again, so just for the sake of keeping our forum alive, I built another sub just so I could make another post. Not just any subwoofer! How about one with a 21" driver this time! 1.25" mdf construction. I packed it in with some 18" 2100 gram passive radiators, coupled it with a Face F1200TS bridged to mono at 2700 watt amplifier and the bass that couldn't get any better got much better indeed. Box tuning is 15.5 hz. I thought I'd share the build with you guys because we are the Houston group and I would bet most of you have never heard a 21" subwoofer and one or more of you may just want to take a peek or listen. Here is the link to my new build thread:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/23057-maelstrom-21-4-2100-gram-18-passive-radiators.html

I sincerely hope all is well with the members and their families in our group and I wish you the best for a great and SAFE holiday season.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome, as always. Would like to catch you during the build some time. Still one of the best sounding set ups I've seen. Maybe one day you can build something that will fit in my Mustang?...:ponder:

Happy Holidays if I don't get to catch up with you, or the Houston Crew, before then!

Tony

·
Registered
565 Posts
Awesome, as always. Would like to catch you during the build some time. Still one of the best sounding set ups I've seen. Maybe one day you can build something that will fit in my Mustang?...:ponder:

Happy Holidays if I don't get to catch up with you, or the Houston Crew, before then!

Tony
Hi and thanks Tony. :wave: If you are referring to wanting to be here while I'm doing the acutal build, if I would have known that before I could have called you when I knew when I was planning on the build. I work on them between jobs.

The only system I've built for auto was an all Alpine 6.1 system for my service truck with Infinity surrounds & 3.5" Blaupunkt drivers for the dasboard.

I'm not too keen on the specs on the automotive installs. The guys at the auto install shops can do them so much easier and quicker. There are the little remote tweeters, xovers, and a bunch more stuff that pertains to auto that I've never messed with. I've heard the subs need to be tuned much higher due to cabin gain. Mine turned out ok due to a lot of luck. I had only 7.25" clearance from the seat so this sub was a tough nut to crack, but it sounds great with a 350 watt Pioner shallow mount 12" and the V Series Alpine 400 watt amp. There's another 4 X 90 V series amp under the seat for the rest of the system.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was referring to "clearing" your living room of some much needed space and taking some of those little subs off your hands...Unfortunately, I can't fit anything you build into anything I drive. I should have got the convertible!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was referring to "clearing" your living room of some much needed space and taking some of those little subs off your hands...Unfortunately, I can't fit anything you build into anything I drive. I should have got the convertible!
Oh.....those "little subs" found a new home in Peoria Illinois. A big semi-trailer picked them up and they have a nice new home. I have their comments about the subs posted in my build thread in the last post. They "move things" in a house 300 feet away from their house and have received some complaints......I'll let you know when I plan on a new build in the future.:T

201 - 220 of 290 Posts