Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think bringing the family is a great idea. My hopes on this first visit was to see set ups, get an idea on product used, and share ideas on options available. Some set ups in my neighborhood are a flat screen, reciever and a couple of speakers and some are elaborate custom installs. I haven't seen the use of absorption materials so there's obviously room for improvement - mine included.

I'm trying to get my schedule nailed down; I won't have another day off until the 14th. Working Nights on the 15th, then off on the 16th. So I'm good for the Friday the 14th or Sunday (after I get up from the graveyard shift) the 16th. If this might work for everyone, let me know and I'll get the neighbors ready for some company...:jump:

Anyway, a list of how many stops that are available would be helpful so we can schedule this first visit. You can PM me or hit me up for my email and I'll work with Mark to get something working.

Hey Mark, Congrats on the birth of your little girl!!! I'm very happy for you and your family.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I see the Houston HT DIY (HHT-DIY) Club starting with a core group with various levels of experience in speaker building, woodworking, electronics, and media. You need not have any experience, only a interest in the art and science of home theater. A few points that have come up:

1) First meeting: probably Sun, Dec 16, afternoon -- touring several home theaters. For ease of visiting several closely spaced homes, the Pearland area may be the best option for a first meeting. Tony is getting commitments from several of his neighbors today. Seems like we have another cluster of guys on the west end (Katy, Belt/290) -- if Pearland does not work for the majority, and we'd rather have it West, we can plan for same date or have another west-end tour for the second meeting. Give feedback, please...

2) Agenda:
First Meeting: mainly intros, several tours and quick demos. also gathering ideas for future meeting content.
Later Meetings: screening recent a DVD release in members' homes. talk or demo on speaker project, woodworking (cabinetry, veneering, finishing, etc.), crossovers, room eq, guest speakers on technical topics.

3) Sponsors: I've had prelim discussions with the Woodcraft Southwest manager about them sponsoring the group and having professional demonstrations on whatever we would like. I also contacted the Jasper Jig folks, a local company that makes the popular circle cutting jigs for speaker baffles -- no word yet, but it's early. As we get established, we could approach other companies with an interest in our business to sponsor activities and giveaways.

4) Family involvement: I think it's a great idea to have the family come out. If the first meeting is to be a tour, it may be less conducive to a family event. As we start screening DVDs and remain in one home, it would be something the family would be more likely to enjoy.

Please share your thoughts on venue, schedule, agenda for the first meeting. Otherwise, we'll proceed as above.

We'll get a firm head count when the details are set in a day or so.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Houston Home Theater DIY December Meeting

Time:
Sunday, December 16
2:00pm - 4:00pm

See general map below
Directions with your RSVP

Agenda:
Introductions. We'll tour at least two completed home theaters
and one work in progress. Discuss how to plan a DIY room from
the ground up. Plan for future events.

Mark (mrstampe)
832-723-2119
or PM me

All are welcome, but for security purposes we'll release maps and
directions only to those who contact me. This should be a very
informative meeting. In the coming months, we can see several
completed rooms/speakers/subs and follow some planned builds
(Tony's HT room, Jim's speakers, my sub and speakers, and others).
Get some ideas for your own!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bill,

I think your prescence at our get together would be a great value to everyone. Having a High Def system does little if the finished presentation isn't fine tuned. I think the calibration sector of Home Theaters is an untapped market and definately high on the learning curve for the average consumer (like me...)

I hope you'll attend and I already had you on my list to contact for a quote - I have three high def sources and all three could use a calibration massage. :yes:

Contact me or Mark if you have any questions and I hope to see you this Sunday.

Tony

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey guys, I'm afraid that I can't make the first meeting on Sunday. As it happens, I will finally be installing my new twins. A pair of TC-12s that I finally finished up a few days ago. My so called audio brain trust will be over at my place trying to figure out how to work REW and set my FBD. It should make for a day chalk filled with bickering and arguing as one comes from a pro audio background, and the other is a salesman over at Audio Concepts. Either way, I'll have bass by the end of the day. I really look forward to the next meeting though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hey guys, I'm afraid that I can't make the first meeting on Sunday. As it happens, I will finally be installing my new twins. A pair of TC-12s that I finally finished up a few days ago. My so called audio brain trust will be over at my place trying to figure out how to work REW and set my FBD. It should make for a day chalk filled with bickering and arguing as one comes from a pro audio background, and the other is a salesman over at Audio Concepts. Either way, I'll have bass by the end of the day. I really look forward to the next meeting though.
If we're thinking about a West Houston tour in January with a presentation on some topic, Maceo23's twins would make a great addition. We can talk more about that later.

For the December meet, we have 5 confirmed so far. Several others have expressed interest, but I still need RSVPs to send out maps. Get those in soon, so we can plan.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Now we may have as many as 5 homes to tour in the same neighborhood -- very nice set-ups. We've also gotten quite a few more RSVPs too. Any others who'd like to join the tour can still respond by PM to receive the address and a map. It should be a great showing!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like I can't make it. :( The "Honey Do" list was longer than I could get done yesterday (I need to "raccoon-proof" the attic today). Looks like I'll have to catch up at a later meet. Sorry!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well Guys, I'm really looking forward to hear how the meet went, especially after the disaster I've had here trying to set up my twin tc12s. Basically, I have to scrap the whole setup, sell off my amps and subs, and start all over. It really couldn't have been worse. First, my Marantz receiver doest have enough voltage to run my Nady XA-900s. On top of that, what little output I do have is making my lights dim just listening to music. Living in a townhouse, I can't do any electrical work without cutting into walls, so basically, I'm screwed. Oh well, NEW PROJECT. Looks like its gonna be Tempest Sono for me:T.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well Guys, I'm really looking forward to hear how the meet went, especially after the disaster I've had here trying to set up my twin tc12s. Basically, I have to scrap the whole setup, sell off my amps and subs, and start all over. It really couldn't have been worse. First, my Marantz receiver doest have enough voltage to run my Nady XA-900s. On top of that, what little output I do have is making my lights dim just listening to music. Living in a townhouse, I can't do any electrical work without cutting into walls, so basically, I'm screwed. Oh well, NEW PROJECT. Looks like its gonna be Tempest Sono for me:T.
Before you scrap the project completely, you may want to try a few things. First, there are ways to boost low level output signal from receivers to amplifiers -- don't know if an ArtClean box might work for you. Others may have suggestions in this area. Second, you may be able to address your light dimming issue without getting into your walls. If the master breaker in your townhome's breaker box is sufficiently large (enough spare amperage over what is already breakered out to all other circuits), you may be able to upgrade the breaker switch for the circuit feeding your Nady. If you're not familiar with working on house electrical service, I'd call an electrician for sure -- don't fry yourself over bass!!

The HHT-DIY meet was a success! I'll post a summary with pics soon.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Basically, I have to scrap the whole setup, sell off my amps and subs, and start all over. It really couldn't have been worse. First, my Marantz receiver doest have enough voltage to run my Nady XA-900s. On top of that, what little output I do have is making my lights dim just listening to music. Living in a townhouse, I can't do any electrical work without cutting into walls, so basically, I'm screwed. Oh well, NEW PROJECT. Looks like its gonna be Tempest Sono for me.
You might start up a thread about this and get some opinions from some others... :huh:

I'm excited that you guys were able to get together successfully and look forward to hearing a report and see some pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just joined last Friday and I've been running around all weekend, so I missed your meet-n-greet/tour. Let me know when the next one is because I'd love to come and have a chance to learn something from you guys. If it's a family thing, I'll bring my fiance. I'm glad I found this forum!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Whats up guys sorry i havent kept up with the group ...I eh.. did not notice there was 3 pages of posts
Id love to hear someone elses theater.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Houston Home Theater DIY December Meeting

We had a great first HHT-DIY meet on Sunday. Though there were a couple cancellations, we still saw two great HTs. Many new home builders are offering "bonus rooms" or home theaters during construction. These were two examples.

HT #1 (Sprtex): This room was built for HT, but when the builder's layout did not meet his needs, Tony gutted the room. He reoriented the room direction, built seating risers, an in-wall component rack, a DIY projector screen, and installed 5.1 surround speakers with subwoofer. Tony, feel free to elaborate on design goals, pitfalls, and plans for the future.

HT #2 (nonmember): We toured one of Tony's neighbor's HT. This one is larger with a 3 level riser, recessed stage and a professionally calibrated PJ screen. It was really well done and can offer a lot of great ideas for our own DIY projects.

I've had several PMs and thread responses asking to be included in the next meet. Since a lot of guys are clustered in the west Houston area, we should try to meet around there. For January, we should pick one member's DIY to demo and discuss, and maybe screen a recently released DVD - families invited. Does anyone have a DIY speaker, subwoofer, or HT they wouldn't mind showing off?

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
My design goals for my dedicated HT room are:
1. Select HT seating and placement
2. Sound diffusers/blockers/traps
3. Complete woodwork (crown molding) & decorations
4. Then start upgrading everything...
a. Start with new sub (decide on what type of sub) - I need to feel the "boom"
b. HD DVD player
c. Receiver
d. Speakers

Pitfalls:
I was given some bad advice (wasn't a membe here yet) and didn't insulate any of the room while tearing down and rebuilding...:wits-end:On my next windfall, I'll just have to start over. Might take down the false wall with the HVAC ducts, re-route and open the room up for wider seating.

Future plans:
Get all my my Theater sources calibrated: Projector, 55" Hitachi, 42" Plamsa, 34" Sony Flat Screen...
Upgrade my Surround System in the Gameroom, move the Onkyo to the Master (oh, add TV in master.):whistling:

Besides the funds and time, I'm just about ready.

My neighbors system consists of a Mistu 3000 Projector, the screen is stretched fabric, I think his receiver was Onkyo. He has Dish with the Sports package and the Theater is primarily used for everday watching and all Sports events. His picture is very clear. His Velodyne sub thumping from the rear tops off a very nice Theater Room. :T

I'm glad everyone came and I hope you enjoyed your visit to my humble abode. I'm looking forward to our future visits where can get some hands on with some new projects.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
NEW IDEA FOR THE HOUSTON HT DIY CLUB​

SDX15 SUBWOOFER BUILD-OFF !!!
Prize: free SDX15 driver

Nathan at Funky Waves will consider sponsoring a free sub driver, if enough guys want to participate. It would go something like this...

Each participant would build a cabinet or sonosub of their own design to meet their music / HT needs based on modeling and dimensions of this driver. In a couple months, we would take turns bolting the same SDX15 into each of the cabinets or tubes to run SPL, FR curves on a standard amp (probably EP2500) in each HT (limited to Houston-area participants for driver sharing purposes). Each participant would have to post a build thread describing their needs, goals, design, and an in house eval. By Home Theater Shack voting, the winner would get the free SDX15.

Minimal individual monitary investment, cool competition among mostly newbie builders, awesome prize, and a great club-building event!! We'd probably end up cooperating with each other on the various builds more than competing.

Post your interest or questions below.

41 - 60 of 290 Posts