Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
We could either:
1) judge the best sub application by testing in each entrant's home, or
2) judge the stand-alone merit of each sub in one location.

This is our contest, so we decide the rules! Let's hear some more suggestions and from anyone considering throwing their hat in the ring. No commitments yet, just put your toe in the water...

By the way, I'll open up my woodshop and lend my assistance to anyone who wants to build.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Guy, this sounds like a fun contest to me. On a different note. I have a good friend who works at one of the really high end audio stores in Houston, and was thinking that maybe in one of the next few meetings, we could do a little field trip over to the store. I don't think ownership would object to have a nice group of enthusiasts in their store, and its always fun to check out the rally high end stuff ,even if for a lot of us, it might be a little out of budget. Not to mention that Area 51 is a theater all should experience.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We could either:
1) judge the best sub application by testing in each entrant's home, or
2) judge the stand-alone merit of each sub in one location.

This is our contest, so we decide the rules! Let's hear some more suggestions and from anyone considering throwing their hat in the ring. No commitments yet, just put your toe in the water...

By the way, I'll open up my woodshop and lend my assistance to anyone who wants to build.
This would be a cool contest. I have to think about how much time it would take to do this. With two young kids, free time is a scarce commodity. Not to mention, the only 'real' power tool I have is a drill and a loaner miter saw.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Guy, this sounds like a fun contest to me. On a different note. I have a good friend who works at one of the really high end audio stores in Houston, and was thinking that maybe in one of the next few meetings, we could do a little field trip over to the store. I don't think ownership would object to have a nice group of enthusiasts in their store, and its always fun to check out the rally high end stuff ,even if for a lot of us, it might be a little out of budget. Not to mention that Area 51 is a theater all should experience.
I think I know what high end shop you are talking about. Been there a few times browsing through the different listening rooms. Very nice people and willing to talk to you without pushing for a sale. There are definitely some very nice stuff there. Would love to make a trip there anyday.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
This would be a cool contest. I have to think about how much time it would take to do this. With two young kids, free time is a scarce commodity. Not to mention, the only 'real' power tool I have is a drill and a loaner miter saw.
Hey udaman,

come on over and let's build some subs! i have a fully outfitted woodshop ready for anyone who wants to enter the contest. we'll set a reasonable deadline for finishing the projects, so don't worry about this consuming all your time. let's hear some more interest in this great giveaway contest!!! even if you don't win the free driver, you'll be all set to drop one in an enclosure built with Home Theater Shack advice and Houston Home Theater DIY hands-on help. you can't beat that deal!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've had drivers for a year and have yet to find time to play.

Jim,

Will you be building to a particular set of plans, or are you designing your own? I'm trying to decide on plans for my own front 3 -- MTM vs. TMWW. Any thoughts on that matter? (anyone else may comment) ongoing thread

I'm trying to pull the trigger before the Parts Express free shipping and driver sale is over on Jan 3.

Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Will you be building to a particular set of plans, or are you designing your own? I'm trying to decide on plans for my own front 3 -- MTM vs. TMWW.
Before I start on my speakers, I have to build another hutch for the entertainment center in the pic. I've got one doodled up to fit the new center channel and the Sony 50". I'm building the WMTW Center and TMWW Mains from HTGuide.com. I considered MTM, but I needed something that would sound good off axis. My "theater" is my living room and everyone is sitting off axis.

I'm considering some translam enclosures with curved sides. I'd be building surrounds to match down the road. I'm in the planning stages of building a vacuum press to help with the veneer. It's not a requirement, but I like toys. :)

I think MTM center and mains, 10" mid-bass bins, and a wicked big sub would be a pretty fun HT setup.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Houston Home Theater DIY January meet

As the holidays settle down, how about another Houston meet on the west side? We could demo a DIY sub or speakers, or how about someone's DIY home theater?

FlashJim, a comparison of your sealed vs infinite baffle subs would make a great demo.
Lvisneau, you have a sonosub, right?
Wayne, how about a DIY cable demo, a REW run through, or some sage advice from your professional HT days?
We have lots of other DIYers around... anyone else want to jump in for this month?

Possible dates are Jan 19, 20, 26, or 27.

More details on the Sub Build-Off at the meet...

E

·
0 Posts
im in for a cable demo . Im in the process of building a theater and need help with that part

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts

That sounds like a fun get-together. Hopefully I can make it for the date decided on; weekends typically are not a problem.

Wayne, how about a DIY cable demo, a REW run through, or some sage advice from your professional HT days?
Actually, it was my pro-audio installation days. Not sure how much of that translates to the home, unless maybe you want to hang speakers from your ceiling with chains or aircraft cable. :laugh:

Flying speakers a.JPG

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds great! I'm working all of those days, but I can make an early afternoon meet. The times of the first one would work again.

Hey etexas, welcome to the forum. Hollar if you need anything, you're in the neighborhood.

T.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Houston Home Theater DIY January meet

As the holidays settle down, how about another Houston meet on the west side? We could demo a DIY sub or speakers, or how about someone's DIY home theater?

FlashJim, a comparison of your sealed vs infinite baffle subs would make a great demo.
Lvisneau, you have a sonosub, right?
We have lots of other DIYers around... anyone else want to jump in for this month?

Possible dates are Jan 19, 20, 26, or 27.

More details on the Sub Build-Off at the meet...
I'm good w/ those dates as of right now, let's see as we get closer.

and yes I have a sono but I've since added my other 2 back in the mix.
:T

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Houston Home Theater DIY January Meeting​
Time:
Saturday, January 19
2:00pm - 4:00pm

See general map below
Directions with your RSVP

Agenda:
1) DIY cable demo: types of wire runs required for different applications, quality vs price of cable components, cable anatomy, terminal differences, building codes, and a cable construction demo. Bring your own cheap RCA plugs for a guided tutorial (yes, you will be building cables!).
2) Room EQ Wizard demo: see how to perform live room audio testing with free software. If someone could bring a DIY subwoofer, we'll use it as an example and get to see/hear your handywork.
3) SDX15 Subwoofer Build-Off: details and planning. This is how you build a DIY sub enclosure with guidance and win a free driver to put in it!! It doesn't get better than that!!
4) Recent release DVD screening: come for the education, stay for socializing. We're taking suggestions on the movie title.
Wayne and Donna are kind enough to offer refreshments during the event.

Mark (mrstampe)
832-723-2119
or PM me

Cables, REW and a DIY sub are the 3 most commonly requested meeting topics -- you get them all in one day with us!! All are welcome, but for security purposes we'll release specific maps and directions only to those who contact me by PM or phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is awesome! What a great agenda you've put together. I know it's a lot of work to bring this all together and sacrifice from your family and from Wayne to volunteer his time and home as well. Thanks a million for doing this.

I'll definitely be there. :yes:

Please let me know if you need anything at all for this get together.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts

To clarify a couple of things in the announcement...
Bring your own cheap RCA cables for a guided tutorial (yes, you will be building cables!).
...actually what you want to bring is a cheap RCA plug, so you’ll have something to practice on. Something like this from Radio Shack. I have a few RCAs on hand, but probably not enough for everyone.

And:
If someone could bring a DIY subwoofer, we'll use it as an example and get to see/hear your handywork.
There would be no need to bring an amplifier; I have one.

Jim, sorry you can’t make it – I know you’ve been wanting to try your hand at DIY cabling. :(

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in.

REW demo is exactly what I need. Actually, I first try REW last night for two hours and couldn't get pass the mic loopback test to work correctly.

cheers,
Marcus

61 - 80 of 290 Posts