Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts

Jim, sorry you can’t make it – I know you’ve been wanting to try your hand at DIY cabling. :(
Yep, I'd love to do the cables and see how to properly use REW.

Our Pinewood Derby is on 1/26. The HT meet is on the last work weekend before the race, but I might be able to sneak away long enough to figure out REW. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Count me in. I just hope I don't get everyone sick. I got the bug that's going around, but I think I've turned the corner. Really looking forward to it.

Gal

·
Registered
69 Posts
A big thanks to Wayne and his wife for hosting the get together. Learned a lot with REW and how to make diy cables. The few times I solder in the past, I've been doing it all wrong. Now I know better thanks to Wayne.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Wow, what a great meet! Special thanks to Donna for feeding all of us! Wayne provided excellent instruction in how to build very high quality A/V interconnects for pennies on the dollar, and he put on a full demo of Room EQ Wizard. Very high yield info!!

Also, many thanks to Leon for hauling his enormous sonosub over for a discussion of his build goals, process, a look at the finished product and advice for prospective builders. We only went to 75dB for REW, because it runs a nominal 2ohm load. Rather than make amplifier soup out of Wayne's gear, and because of some low frequency filter issues, we decided to rain check a full sub demo.

Leon, we've got to hear that monster!! Anytime you'd like to have us over, you'll have an instant audience!

We need to start getting serious about the Subwoofer Build-Off, if we're going to do this. Anyone even slightly entertaining the idea of entering should contact me. We'll make sure there's a more than reasonable amount of time to finish, and anyone who wants it will have access to a full woodshop with assistance)! Remember, you're building for the chance to win a nearly $300 sub driver. Wood costs are negligible.

Upcoming meet topics... Leon's sub and theater demo, Jim's DIY speaker and Infinite Baffle Sub demo, my DIY speaker and sub demo, a talk on video calibration, a lesson on speaker/sub cabinet building including veneering, other home theaters, etc... Post your ideas and feedback.

Let's keep it going!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My first meet ever................. Very cool indeed! But no more moving the sub(except across the floor w/ my ce2000):bigsmile:A calibration demo would be nice, maybe video essentials or another cal. disc walk through? Boy does wayne know his cable stuff or what?? Wayne you were an excellent host, Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been out of it for a weeks. I sure hate that I missed the meet up. Looks like y'all learned a lot and had a good time. Hope I'll be able to make the next one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had a great time this weekend. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Wayne, thank you so much for hosting. I'm going to get started on my own sonotube build this weekend. Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll knock it out quickly. If so, Mark, you can count me in for the build off. I already have a few design ideas rolling around in my head.

·
Super Moderator
9,241 Posts

Glad everyone had a good time! I was really surprised that Mark was the only one who wanted to try his hand at it.

Mark, it might interest you to know: After the meet I naturally had to rework the set of Mogami cables I had “sacrificed” for the demo – i.e. cut the other "unbutchered" lead down to the right length, and re-install the RCAs on both leads. When I re-soldered the one you had practiced on, I didn’t have to re-prep the cable. I just soldered it to the connector “as is.” Your “maiden” prep was that good! :T

Boy does wayne know his cable stuff or what?? Wayne you were an excellent host, Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words everyone – just hope it wasn’t TMI! :D

By the way, Leon, we sorely short-changed your sub here. I noticed as everyone was leaving that I forgot to turn off the DSP “Cellar Club” processing I use for music (which I was playing before everyone showed up). My REW measurements with it engaged have shown it to just annihilate response below about 30 Hz. That’s why your extension didn’t look any better than it did. Despite that it showed great extension all the way to the bottom of the graph (10 Hz), which is better than I’ve ever seen with that DSP on! I look forward to hearing it and measuring it in your own HT! :jump:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
53 Posts
That really was a fruitful get together - a lot of great information. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer, but I think seeing that sonosub upclose was worth the trip by itself...what a beast! I loved it.

Wayne, you are a gracious host and I truly enjoyed meeting you and Donna.
Mark, you did a great job with organizing this event - many thanks!

I'm excited about putting a sub together and I have to say that sonosub was amazing.

Thanks again for the gathering.:yes:

T.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
HHT-DIY
How 'bout another meet?

Any ideas for topics, or offers to host/present?
Lvisneau, care to treat us to a demo of that great sonosub?
FlashJim, how about a comparison of your DIY sealed sub vs. Infinite Baffle sub?
Jack, we'd love a demo of your awesome HT setup.
Bear5K, a video calibration lesson and recent release DVD screening would be great.

anyone else?

·
Registered
79 Posts
HHT-DIY
How 'bout another meet?

Any ideas for topics, or offers to host/present?
Lvisneau, care to treat us to a demo of that great sonosub?
FlashJim, how about a comparison of your DIY sealed sub vs. Infinite Baffle sub?
Jack, we'd love a demo of your awesome HT setup.
Bear5K, a video calibration lesson and recent release DVD screening would be great.

anyone else?
I'm having some "buzzing" issues w/ the sono but we can still do a demo.
I also just got the epson pro cinema 1080UB, so we can demo that also if we want.
And I just did a diy masking system for my screen(nothing special, just some moveable felt).
Maybe A multiple stop meet?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm just a novice and don't have any technical demonstrations, but if a couple of fellows wants to get together and listen to my 5 year project, I may be open for a demo.....Those with children or have sensitive ears may want to bring a football helmet or ear plugs :hide:....
My Soundsplinter subwoofer had a baby two weeks ago. They look like twins!

I've just heard about this group....:bigsmile:

I managed to get myself marked on the Google map of the DIY participants.

Mike Cason

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: Arts Clean Box modified

Hey Houston guys....

I bought an Art's Clean Box and made the following modifications to it and it is way too much for my system as I have barrier input strips to match the impedance from my Rotel to the QSCs'. Look for the Arts Clean Box thread to see what folks are saying about it.

I installed the 1 uf caps, replacing the originals so you don't lose the low end like some were complaining about. They originally had the .047 caps and the bass was diminished.

During one of the meets or a visit from one of you guys, I'll let the modified box go for $50 with the original caps in a baggie and throw in a pair of XLR cables I bought to hook it up to the amps. I'm not trying to just pawn off the box, but if one of you really need this thing, it will save you some money rather than buying it and making the modifications. Otherwise, I'll just keep it put away for another project.

Mike

http://www.ccdoggy.net/speaker/IMG_2119.jpg

81 - 100 of 290 Posts