Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
July Meet attendees confirmed, so far...

Mike (host)
Mark
Wayne
Jim
Tony
Richard

Sonny??

RSVP to me, and I'll send out directions to the meet. Should be a great one.

Mark

·
Registered
565 Posts
Looking good Mark. :whistling:

I'm still tweaking the rebuilt Rotel and it will do us a good job for the meet. The speaker rebuilds with the new passive radiators are sounding great. I was down for two weeks with mis prescribed meds, but still hope to have the Bang and Olufsen's installed as added surrounds if time allows for an even better performance.

I'll know more about a week ahead of time if anyone needs to bring anything. My wife said she was going to get some goodies together and I'm going to have an ice chest full of cold drinks and have ice water on hand. I don't drink any beer but if someone wants to bring their own, please do so in moderation. I've got lots of off street parking.

I have a couple of test DVD's, a variety of music DVDs, and some of the good movie titles, but if you have any with the special effects or another test DVD, bring it on. I haven't stepped up to a SACD player yet, but my CD player does a nice job.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. :daydream:

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi Jim,

I finally had time to work on the Rotel's setup last night again.

They put in 3 new boards $870 parts and labor for free and upgraded it to HD, which I don't use. My DVD and satellite are component to the HD TV tuner.

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: Sunday's 7-27 DIY meeting confirmation:

Hi Jim and all other interested DIY members,

Jim, I've purchased the newest Mitsubishi 65" DLP 1080P TV so now I can now use your HD player. I would like to meet with you Saturday to pick up the unit or you can bring it here. It might be a great help with some of your good demo stuff. I would like some quiet time Saturday to install it and get the new TV's and Rotel's internal settings ready for easy switching between DVDs and HD DVDs.

For everyone else, I've been working very long hours and nights the past two weekends getting things ready for you guys. :dizzy:

Please bring your good test DVD's with you or anything else the group might be interested in seeing.

This type of meeting is new for me so any and all inputs are welcomed.

I've send Mark (MR. Stampe) an email this morning and have asked him to help me get you guys together and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

I've finally got my system completed and ready for you. I've even installed my newly modified Bang and Olufsen Redline speakers installed for side surrounds for added an added HT experience. That was an all night job! They are fabulous. You can see them on my website using the Bang & Olufsen modification link. :jump:

I'll have plenty of cold drinks and some party trays, so all you need to bring are your ears and or alcoholic beverages.

Mike :bigsmile:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
July Meet attendees confirmed, so far...

Mike (host)
Mark
Wayne
Jim
Tony
Richard

Sonny??

RSVP to me, and I'll send out directions to the meet. Should be a great one.

Mark

Just confirming a headcount for the HHT-DIY meet this Sunday -- so far, 8. All of the above will be coming, plus my brother and nephew from out of town. If anyone listed cannot make it, please let me know ASAP. If you want to go, drop me an email so I can send you the address and directions.

Thanks,
Mark
[email protected]
832-723-2119

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: Sunday at Mike's place info....

After Mark gives you the address come to the back door.

I built a new home and don't have a sidewalk to my front porch yet, so come to the back door and just come on in. No doorbell or door knocking is necessary. Write down my phone number so if you get lost, I can help you out if the house isn't rocking or vibrating a bit, and I can still hear the phone.

See ya guys (or gals) Sunday, :jump:

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
The sound and clarity of Mike's set up was amazing. Dynamic and powerful. The visual impression looking at the array of speakers was awesome enough; the impact of his creation was truly impressive. As much as I was in awe of the sub's - the center speaker was the star in my opinion. Listening to the demo disks displayed a whisper as clean and clear as branches breaking and even explosions; there was never a need to struggle to make out any sounds. The sub's fill the room in a wave that's felt before heard - not something that I've experienced in theaters, not the that extent.

I was excited to see the system in person, but more excited after I left. Truly a successful DIY experience and it was great to hear what's possible "away from retail."

My 2c...

Oh, thx for all the grub. Truly a gracious host!:T

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tony,

Thanks for the kind words.....I'm glad my system didn't let you guys down. I've worked years to get it where it is at now and it's an honor to have a group of guys who know audio systems come over to audition it and give me your inputs.

It was certainly a treat to have everyone over. Come on by anytime with that special DVD and we'll crank it up!

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
HHT-DIY July Meet comments and photos...

Truly an outstanding home theater, designed and built by our gracious host, Mike Cason. We all really enjoyed the experience of "blow your hair back" explosions and glass shattering that made our skin crawl. Wonderful imaging and soundstage for the musical tracks as well. Thanks again for opening your home to us!

See the photos below of the front end of the HT, a perspective shot demonstrating the imposing stature of his subs, and another demonstrating Mike's handywork at building crossover boards.

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks for for the pics Mark, and of course your attendance as well as the rest of the group . I really enjoyed the demo and am looking forward to more of them to experience some other folk's projects, including your Natalie P's when you are done.

To address the crossover photos, the two larger ones with the Jantzen air coils on the left were just a couple left over from some attempts during the many rebuilds, (some parts were removed and used in other projects), the upper right is one of Parts Express's Dayton's standard units, and the lower right xover is one of the original Radio Shack shelf units I used in my very early days of the speaker design work.

S

·
0 Posts
Hi guys! Nice forum!

Sorry I missed the last meet. mrstampe found me wandering aimless around the halls of another HT forum and pointed me in this direction... (Thanks!)

I'll look forward to the next meet.

I've always been a bit of an HT geek, but just went into overdrive a few months ago, as I am building a custom home in tomball with a 14' x 20' media room. I'm in the process of getting the gear together now...

I'm looking forward to the next meet!

·
Registered
565 Posts
StewartG,

Even though I got a terrific review from the Sprtex, I may have wired the xover wrong in the center speaker. I opened it up to verify a couple of caps and inductors and think I made a mistake with the xover. I'm ordering new parts and am going to build another one and install it, and when I'm done and happy with it, I can pm you if you would want to make the drive to the NASA area and audition my system. I've been getting requests for plans for the center speaker and mains, so I've decided to sell them and wanted to double check everything.

For the rest of you guys....I headed to Sonnie's house somewhere in central Alabama a couple days after our meeting and 31 hours later, I made it back home with his Lazy Boy recliners and his two Panamax conditioners/surge protectors. He is not really a hillbilly, he just wears the hat and smokes the corn cob pipe like they do. He did have a couple of rabbits swinging over his shoulder when I arrived. He was just getting back from fetching vittles for granny & Ellie Mae.

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
StewartG,

Even though I got a terrific review from the Sprtex, I may have wired the xover wrong in the center speaker. I opened it up to verify a couple of caps and inductors and think I made a mistake with the xover. I'm ordering new parts and am going to build another one and install it, and when I'm done and happy with it, I can pm you if you would want to make the drive to the NASA area and audition my system. I've been getting requests for plans for the center speaker and mains, so I've decided to sell them and wanted to double check everything.

For the rest of you guys....I headed to Sonnie's house somewhere in central Alabama a couple days after our meeting and 31 hours later, I made it back home with his Lazy Boy recliners and his two Panamax conditioners/surge protectors. He is not really a hillbilly, he just wears the hat and smokes the corn cob pipe like they do. He did have a couple of rabbits swinging over his shoulder when I arrived. He was just getting back from fetching vittles for granny & Ellie Mae.

Mike

I'll drive a lot further than to clear lake to audition a cool system! Anyway, I grew up in clear lake (middlebrook). I'm CLHS, class of '85.

My folks live in League City nowadays so I can make it a "double feature." Thanks for the invite!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re:Houston DIY Meeting & Voltage Drop

Hi guys,

During our meet at my house, one of you asked for me to figure a voltage drop for you for a wire run from your garage breaker box to your HT room. There were so many new faces to me, I can't remember who it was.

These are the results:
You need to figure the extra length going up and down the walls and ceilings, and around the room walls if the wire is on a circuit with several outlets, to the panel and plugs.

Wire size #12 gauge copper wire with a 150’ length @ 120 volts, single phase:

20 amps = 4.8% voltage drop – Estimated drop 5.7 volts – Ending voltage =114.3
15 amps = 3.6%; drop of 4.3 volts; Ending voltage =115.7
10 amps = 2.4%; drop of 2.4 volts; Ending voltage =117.1

Wire size #14 gauge copper:

20 amps = 7.6% drop of 9.1 volts; Ending voltage = 110.9
15 amps = 5.7% drop of 6.8 volts; Ending voltage = 113.2
10 amps = 3.8% drop of 4.6 volts: Ending voltage = 115.4

Plug in a vacuum cleaner and another load (toaster, hair dryer) to get close to 20 amps and check the voltage from a plug on the same circuit. The amp ratings are on the appliances. If it rated is in watts, divide the watts by 120 volts for your amp draw. You can also crank up your system to a very high level, but it will be intermittent due to the subwoofer amp draw not being constant so you won't get an accurate reading.

#1 rule to remember: The lower the voltage, the higher the amp draw on your equipment. If the amp draw is too high due to low voltage, then you shorten the life of your gear.

Sorry for the delay. I had to go to Sonnie's house in Alabama, then board and unboard my home and buildings for the storm.

I certainly enjoyed meeting all of you!

Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: Stewart, your parents miss you.....

I'll drive a lot further than to clear lake to audition a cool system! Anyway, I grew up in clear lake (middlebrook). I'm CLHS, class of '85.

My folks live in League City nowadays so I can make it a "double feature." Thanks for the invite!
Stewart,

You better plan on a trip to see mom and dad very, very soon! they love you....:kiss:

The crossover is finished and upgraded with better caps. It is truly an awesome experience to listen to! I wish I had upgraded it for the DIY meeting here last month, but anytime the guys want to stop by and listen, the doors will be open to them.

I built the first xover with some less expensive caps and I was in my early days of speaker building and learning when I built them. Attached are photos of the original one which did have a couple of wiring issues, and the new one I finished last night and installed.

My wife asked me if I was ok because I appeared to be in a coma or trance while listening to Diana Krall! The center speaker bass got much deeper and its overall sound became more pronounced and accurate with very detailed sound. The center speaker's movie/vocal/musical sounds were improved by ten/fold, at a minimum.

I'm looking forward to meeting you Stewart, and welcome to the Hosuton DIY group! :T

Mike Cason

Attachments

121 - 140 of 290 Posts