Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. Guys.
I'm still thinking about my first DIY sub.
Actually I don't have huge space, I have to consider encloser size.
and I found this item.
this is Klipsch KW-120, size is 20.25" (51.4cm) H x 17.75" (45.1cm) W x 17.75" (45.1cm) D (w/ grille)
KW-120-THX-Cabinet-Cutaway-.jpg
also you can see its cutaway pic.
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kw-120-thx-overview/

How about copying this encloser design?
I can increase the size of D to 21".

please advise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TBH, I don't really like that port, it seems a bit on the small side. I absolutely hate port noise/chuffing.
thank you for reply.
Actually I have seen some review about that, there was almost positive.
Is there anyone heard that SUB?

But I think many DIY sub have same port type.

I also concern about port noise anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not to thread jack, but this is what I'm using at the moment. Absolutely no port noise, and it's a good box. I might extend the port a little for movies, it is tuned for music but is still great for movies.
Driver is an infinity BETA 15"
EDIT: and of course, this is before it is finished :p

But yes, the squarer (is that a word?) your port is, the better. a port that is 10"x5" is far better than one that is 1"x50".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to thread jack, but this is what I'm using at the moment. Absolutely no port noise, and it's a good box. I might extend the port a little for movies, it is tuned for music but is still great for movies.
Driver is an infinity BETA 15"
But yes, the squarer (is that a word?) your port is, the better. a port that is 10"x5" is far better than one that is 1"x50".
Great Design.
However as I wrote first, I don't have much spot to put Sub.
so I have to find most effective port design.

If I change this Klipsch design to SEALED, how about?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great Design.
However as I wrote first, I don't have much spot to put Sub.
so I have to find most effective port design.

If I change this Klipsch design to SEALED, how about?
Yeah, this is pretty big, 36"h x 17"w x 18"d

Hmm, I don't know, you could go sealed, but then it wont be as efficient. I'd say go for a flared aero port or two, or redesign this and flare its port. I can try and work something out for you, but not right now, tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is your budget for a driver and an amp?
I would like to buy dayton SA1000 Power amp.
Unit is under 300$.

Actually I'm in S.Korea, I have to think shipping and some tax.
Anyway I can pay 700$ for unit and amp.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
You don't have huge space and have to consider encloser size, 20" H x 20" W x 21" D would have a net volume of about 3.4 cu.ft. Have a look at thre TRIO12 kit, it has everything you need, will produce excellent low end extention for movies, and is well within your budget.

http://creativesound.ca/details.php?model=QUARTET12(TRIO12)B

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't have huge space and have to consider encloser size, 20" H x 20" W x 21" D would have a net volume of about 3.4 cu.ft. Have a look at thre TRIO12 kit, it has everything you need, will produce excellent low end extention for movies, and is well within your budget.
Thank you for kind advise.
I want to make ported Sub anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If your goal is bass for movies you'll get more low end output with Passive Radiators in the box size you stated.
OK. I'll consider this option also. Actually I have to study about PR from first.
and now I know the PR have its own merit.

1 more question, in here the power is 220V, in this kit, the amp is 220V switchable?
I can't find any information in item page.

·
Registered
393 Posts

http://creativesound.ca/details.php?model=QUARTET12(TRIO12)B

The trio12 is the driver i would suggest in an enclosure of that size. its hard to beat its performance for the dollar any way you look at it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts